Each parent may encounter such a situation, when his child suddenly and abruptly at night or during the day the ear starts to hurt badly, there is noise and congestion in the ears, the ear pain may also be shooting in nature.
Here we look at the recommendations for the treatment of a pediatrician - L. Sh. Anikeeva, what needs to be done, in such cases, how and what you can treat and cure the ear pain at home without complications, as giving first aid to relieve and relieve severe pain in the ear. folk remedies without harmful consequences for the health of the child.
Causes of Earache
If your baby has recently suffered a respiratory illness or has just had leakage from his nose, and now he doesn’t find a place for himself severe earache. This suggests that the infection from the nasopharynx has spread through the auditory tube into the middle ear. In children up to 3 years, the development of otitis during a cold or after it is a fairly common phenomenon associated with the anatomical and physiological features of the structure of the pediatric nasopharynx - a wide and short auditory tube facilitates infection of the ear.
The most characteristic symptom of otitis is severe pain in the ear.
The child does not just complain that “the ear hurts”, but screams and sobs so that the need for urgent help does not raise any doubts. The infant cannot speak, but with anxiety and shrill cry it will make it clear to mom that she needs help and care. When pressing on the tragus, anxiety increases, and the reason for its unusual behavior becomes clear. An examination of an otolaryngologist is necessary for making a diagnosis, but first aid, facilitating the condition of the child, you must provide him immediately.
What and how to do with strong ear pain in a child at home, see below ...
Drip in the ear drops
It is necessary to begin with the treatment of ... the nose. It is vasoconstrictor drops in the nose, reducing swelling of the mucous membrane of the auditory tube, improve ventilation of the middle ear cavity and outflow of inflammatory exudate from it.
Put 3-4 drops of Otipaks (Otinum, Sofradex, Otopy, etc.) in the ear, preheating them to body temperature. You can warm the medicine by holding the pipette with the drops in your palm. It is even better to introduce a cotton turunda soaked in warm Otipax into the ear canal.
Give your child any painkiller (paracetamol, nurofen in the age dose). Many mothers are perplexed: why nurofen and paracetamol, it does not have a temperature. These drugs have not only antipyretic, but also anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, so that their use in otitis is justified. And they do not reduce the normal temperature.
Apply a compress on the ear
Have a good effect half alcohol compresses on the ears. They relieve pain, improve blood supply to the middle ear and tissue nutrition, contributing to the speedy recovery.
How to make a compress on the ear: cut out of cotton fabric with a square with a length of 10-12 cm. If the fabric is thin, pre-fold it in 3-4 layers, gauze or a wide bandage will also work.
In the center of the square, make a vertical incision, departing from the top and bottom sides by 2-3 cm. Wet the fabric with warm vodka or diluted with water and alcohol with water, squeeze out the liquid, and put a square on the ear so that the auricle goes into the incision, like a button in a loop.
Put a square of cellophane or compress paper with the same cutout over the fabric of the same size (or slightly larger) so that the auricle is again outside. After that, put a big piece of cotton wool on your ear, and fix the entire structure with a scarf or cap.
After 15-20 minutes, the ear warms up and the pain subsides. Do not rush to remove the compress, it should perform a warming function for 3-4 hours. In a well-laid compress, a child can sleep through the night, and in the morning you will notice an improvement in condition. But this does not relieve you from the necessity of examining an LOP doctor. Only he, as a tympanic membrane, will prescribe the correct treatment, including deciding whether antibiotics are necessary.
Ear hurts and shoots: what to do, how to treat folk remedies
An ear can get sick after swimming, after the sea, after a walk, a foreign object can get into the ears. If a child's ears hurt, look in the ear canal with a flashlight, and see if there is a foreign object in the ear - peas, details from the designer or something else.
With the symptoms, the ear is laid and shoots in it, perhaps this is inflammation or otitis and the treatment will be different. For an accurate diagnosis, you need to consult a doctor. A sign that you need to pay attention to your ear hurts your ear or your ear hurts after visiting a place - a draft, a cold or a playground.
Many common diseases can be cured at home, and the people have accumulated this knowledge over many centuries. People gathered folk recipes, how to treat at home, methods of treatment based on their experience. They searched, tried and added various methods of treatment and improvement of their health. Now there are mobile phones with a camera and a phone with a video now there are many people. Quickly finding and adding a free recipe for health is now easy.
The video examines how and how to treat a sore ear: keep the sore ear warm, treat the sore ear with boric alcohol, beet juice, almond oil.
The inner ear is a sensitive and vulnerable organ, so there are many factors causing its soreness. A common, unsuccessful root of pain is the presence of an infection that the child’s body cannot cope with. The main cause of indisposition is inflammation of the Eustachian tube (the auditory canal connecting the middle ear to the pharynx). Inflammation, causes extensive damage to the middle ear, allowing various microorganisms and bacteria to pass through. Sources of such anomalies are different.
Ear pain can occur unexpectedly and bring a lot of inconvenience and torment. The origin of ear pain is divided into two types:
External risk factors
If a child has a sharp pain, which after some time has disappeared without a trace, most of all, that ear has suffered from a mosquito bite. Parents should carefully monitor the baby to make sure that relapses no longer occur. Another thing is when pains bother children for a long time, then their sources may be other reasons.
Risk factors for ear pain:
- Ear injury:
- mechanical. This type of damage results from injuries, bumps, and insect bites. The most common cause of pain is a variety of wounds arising from cuts or bruises. Injuries can be superficial and deep, the latter are often accompanied by complete or partial detachment of the auricle,
- thermal. Thermal injuries include frostbite and burns.
- chemical damage. This type of injury occurs when interacting with acids or alkali.
- The presence of a foreign body. This problem is most often encountered by young children, who themselves put beads, seeds, cereals, bones and other small objects into their ears.
- The presence of sulfuric cork. The occurrence of sulfuric plug is the result of stagnation of sulfur and its accumulation in the external auditory canal. Most often, stagnation occurs due to improper hygiene, and so on. no regular ear cleaning. Less often, individual characteristics of the structure of the ear canal, predisposing to its accumulation, become the culprits of excessive sulfur formation.
- Water ingress. The first manifestation of fluid entering the ear is its congestion and partial hearing loss. The timely removal of water from the ear leads to the development of inflammation of the middle ear.
- Winding. It is not uncommon for children to begin to hurt their ears after walking in windy weather due to the formation of a painful bruise on the skin in the ear. Also staying in a draft and hypothermia provoke the development of trigeminal neuritis, accompanied by pain in the ear area.
Causes of painful sensations in the ear area in children often lie in inflammatory and infectious diseases of the outer, middle or inner ear. More common sources of pain are otitis and cold.
Internal diseases that cause pain in the ears:
- Defeats with bacterial infections:
- external otitis,
- otitis media
- Fungal diseases (otomycosis).
- Inflammatory diseases (mastoiditis).
- SARS, sore throat and viral infections.
- Tumor processes.
- Abnormal development of vessels in the ear region and nearby organs (eyes, pharynx, nose, brain).
Among the less common sources of pain in the ears are inflammation of the thyroid gland, temporal arteries and pharyngeal mucosa (pharyngitis), tumor formation in the pharynx and larynx, neck, esophagus and tongue diseases. Children with problem teeth may also experience pain in their ears.
Soreness in the ears can reveal other manifestations characteristic of a particular source of pain. Therefore, parents should independently conduct the first diagnosis before the doctor arrives in order to take the right measures to eliminate painful sensations.
To do this, hold a conversation with children, which helps to determine the nature of pain, the time of its occurrence and duration. If the child is small, parents will have to analyze the state of health of the baby in the last week, since pain may be a consequence of a commonplace cold. And it is also necessary to recall all the activities that the child did during the day and examine it, because the illness could be caused by a bruise or other injury to the ear. If you suspect the presence of a foreign object, carefully examine the baby's ear. Anxiety can be caused by problems of other organs, this is evidenced by the calm reaction of the child to tapping with his finger on the triangular cartilaginous protrusion located in front of the ear canal (trestle).
Diseases and their symptoms that cause ear pain:
- Signs of otitis externa:
- itchy earaches
- purulent discharge.
- Otitis media:
- ear pain,
- high temperature
- slight hearing loss
- pain when blowing, swallowing and chewing,
- the irritability and capriciousness of the child,
- stomach problems (vomiting, nausea),
- loss of appetite.
- Infectious diseases are accompanied by purulent secretions.
- Bruises, bites, or other injuries are indicated by the swelling and bluish color of the ear.
- When fungal diseases present a terrible itching.
- Eustachitis (ear canal inflammation):
- sharp and characterized by the intensity of earache,
- the presence of cod or ringing in the ears,
- enhanced perception of your voice (autophony),
- sensation of fluid in the ear.
- pain and noises in the ears, extending to the temple, eyes and upper jaw,
- lack of appetite,
- copious purulent discharge
- swelling of the skin behind the ear.
Symptoms are detected at the first appearance of complaints of earache and if inflammatory processes are suspected, they immediately call the doctor on the house.
Risk of complications
Abnormal phenomena that provoke pain in the ears, in the absence or incorrect treatment, develop into a chronic form. The progression of pathologies is accompanied by serious complications and leads to irreversible consequences.
Bacterial and viral diseases cause inflammation of the eardrum, fraught with its rupture and accompanied by fever and sharp pains in the ear.
The first signs of complications with otitis media are chills, dizziness and headaches. When not treating inflammatory diseases of the middle ear, the infections spread to the inner ear and lead to absolute deafness.
Consequences of mastoiditis can be abscesses, sepsis, meningitis, and facial nerve paralysis. Also, with this disease there is a risk of one of the serious problems of ophthalmology - orbital cellulitis (cellulitis of the orbit). Purulent inflammation of the fiber of the eye orbits represents a great danger to vision and in rare cases to the life of the patient.
To prescribe the correct treatment, it is necessary to determine the true causes of discomfort. Only a specialist can correctly diagnose, so if you experience pain in the ears, the child must be shown to the pediatrician. Before the doctor’s visit, you can help the children, by relieving the annoying pain, with the help of certain methods.
Recommendations for reducing pain in the ears:
- For pain in the ears, children are allowed to give painkillers. The dose should be in accordance with the age of the child.
- In critical situations and elevated temperature, it is possible to alleviate the condition of the child with the help of antipyretic.
- In the absence of purulent discharge and temperature, it is advisable to make warming compresses.
- With injuries, a cold is applied to the ear of the child.
- In some cases, a cotton swab or cotton wool moistened with boric acid and tucked into the ear helps to relieve pain.
In the absence of effect after first aid, they urgently turn to an otolaryngologist.
Depending on what kind of illness the child has pain in the ears, a certain treatment regimen is prescribed:
- Antibacterial therapy. This type of treatment includes the use of ear drops and antimicrobials. It is prescribed for otitis media. For one-year-old children, drops are used in the ears “Albucid” or “Otipaks”, for older children - “Otofa” or “Anauran”.
- Antibiotic therapy. Antibiotics are indicated for the development of purulent inflammation, enlarged lymph nodes and the occurrence of fever. Appointed as an injection of penicillin ("Oxacillin", "Flemoxin"). "Ofloxacin", "Cefazolin", "Erythromycin" and other means can also be used.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. Appointed with acute inflammation, recommended analgesic ear drops with anti-inflammatory action ("Garazon", "Sofradex", "Otinum").
- Intensive therapy. It is indicated for turbootitis and chronic stages of ailments to eradicate diseases of the nasopharynx, paranasal sinuses, which are sources of pain in the ears. This type of therapy involves the use of medications for vasoconstriction in painful areas. Vasoconstrictive drops (“Nazivin”, “Otrivin”, etc.), naftizin, Protargol nose drops, and antiviral and combination drugs (“Grippferon”, “Vibrocil”) are used.
Medicinal products are used strictly according to the doctor’s prescription, as well as according to the age of the children.
At elimination of sulfuric cork, the eye of the child is treated with hydrogen peroxide or liquid paraffin. Hydrogen peroxide is also appropriate to use to disinfect the sore spot for fungal infections. Fungal diseases are eliminated by flushing the ear canal and treating the ear with pine nut oil or Vishnevsky ointment.
In the presence of ear pathologies, it is impossible to alleviate the pain in the ear with complex therapy, therefore surgical intervention is carried out.
Alternative medicine is the use of warming compresses, ear drops, ear wash ear with special infusions that can relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
Methods that accelerate the healing process:
- Washing the ears with herbal infusions that are made from chamomile or lemon balm. Melissa infusions are appropriate for ingestion.
- Various drops (almond, olive, nut), juices (lemon, garlic or walnut leaves), as well as various tinctures are used as drops. Effective remedy is honey mixed in propolis tincture 1: 1.
- Laying in the ear cotton swabs dipped in onion juice or garlic.
- Compresses based on boric or camphor alcohol, as well as boiled beets in honey. To do this, moisten gauze or a napkin in a certain liquid and apply it to a sore ear. Sometimes a napkin moistened with ordinary warm water helps.
Some traditional methods are not effective for certain diseases or may cause complications. In order not to harm the child, alternative means should be used according to the advice of a doctor who correctly determines the root of pain. Since the rupture of the eardrum and the presence of a purulent process, the introduction of fluids into the ear is contraindicated. It is forbidden to drip the ear with drops containing alcohol, as it can burn the mucous membrane. And at elevated temperatures can not carry out heating procedures.
Seeing a doctor for pain in the ears of children is the right decision to eliminate this ailment. The specialist will also advise what important preventive measures should be taken to reduce the likelihood of a relapse of the disease.
What is earache?
The most common symptom of inflammation of the ear canal is pain in the ear. This unpleasant sensation arises from damage to the mucous membranes, eardrum, auditory ossicles, Eustachian tube, mastoid cell, or the trigeminal nerve. Diseases causing earache:
- acoustic damage to the auditory canals,
If the child has an ear pain, then the parents, before beginning to treat it, should find out the cause of poor health. To accurately diagnose the baby, it is necessary to show the otolaryngologist, because the wrong therapy can be dangerous. In young children, in contrast to adults, the hearing aid is not sufficiently formed: because of the structure of the Eustachian tube, the infection, once in the nasopharynx, spreads very quickly to the middle and inner ear.
In infants, milk may enter the auditory tubes, which promotes the reproduction of pathogenic bacteria. In addition to inflammatory diseases, the baby may be disturbed by pain due to damage to the tympanic cavity with foreign objects:
- ear sticks
- small toys.
Sore ear in a child without fever
Such an unpleasant symptom as pain is not always a sign of infection in the baby’s ear, especially if there is no fever. The organ of hearing can get sick after a long walk down the street with strong gusts of wind. Therapy in this case is not required, because in a warm room, after a while, the baby’s condition returns to normal. It should be borne in mind that due to cold weather, an infection of the nasopharynx can cause acute otitis, especially if your baby has diseases that are accompanied by a runny nose (cold, flu).
Swimming in a pool or other body of water is also considered a frequent reason that a child has an ear ache. As a rule, this occurs when swimming without a protective cap. Water, falling into the ear canals, softens the skin of the auditory orifice, causes swelling and congestion of the ears. In some cases, excessive production or lack of sulfur can cause discomfort. With a large volume of discharge, a plug arises, and in the opposite situation, dryness and cracking of the mucous membrane. Sometimes pain in the ears is caused by sudden pressure drops.
Ear and temperature
If the child has an ear and the temperature has risen, then it means that he develops an inflammatory process:
- a boil matures - it refers to diseases of the outer ear,
- mycosis of the ear and ear,
- purulent otitis,
- infection due to injury of the eardrum,
- exacerbation of chronic otitis.
To determine the pathogen and its sensitivity to antibiotics, you need to take the baby to the hospital for examination by a doctor. If the sensations are sharp, very unpleasant and are accompanied by vomiting, then an ambulance should be called. It is necessary to treat the damage of the hearing aid in time to avoid complications. Some parents, thinking that medicines are dangerous, refuse treatment with antibiotics, thus they can harm the baby. In order for a child to recover quickly, you need to follow all the recommendations of a specialist.
Parents should be very careful when bathing a child in a bath, pool or sea. The immune system and the hearing aid of the baby have not yet been fully formed, therefore, it is especially susceptible to inflammation of the outer and inner ear. A child can become ill with otitis media, in which purulent discharges, furunculosis, including other pathologies, often appear. How to remove the pain in the ear of a child that arose after bathing? To help your child and ease his condition, you need to carefully clean the ear canals from the liquid with cotton swabs or chopsticks.
Because of the sharp pain that occurs at night, the child may cry for a long time and not sleep. Parents should be possible to numb the ear, given the age of the baby. After that, you should examine the organ of hearing. Often, severe pain is caused by foreign objects, usually small bugs. Insects crawl, causing children anxiety and pain. If they are not removed in time, then complications can occur - inflammation of the inner ear or perforation of the eardrum.
What to do with ear pain
If a child complains of earache, he should be given first aid as soon as possible. Prior to the arrival of a specialist, you should try to reduce the manifestation of unpleasant sensations - instill vasoconstrictor agents, anesthetize with an approved drug or put an alcohol compress. One of the important points - while waiting for the ambulance, you should calm the sick child, distracting his attention with the help of talk or toys.
Child ear pain medicine
Many medications can numb and relieve inflammation in the ear. Before using them, you should determine the instructions for which age the drugs are intended. The following drops are mainly used for treatment:
- Otipaks - this anesthetic contains lidocaine. Note that it may cause an allergic reaction in some patients.
- Sofradex is an antibiotic that is used for frequent otitis.
- Otinum is an effective analgesic with anti-inflammatory action. It is allowed for the treatment of children from one year of age.
- Vibrocil - This vasoconstrictor drug is used to treat a runny nose and prevent infection from spreading.
- Boric acid solution. This tool has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. Bury the ears with boric solution is not recommended for children under the age of fifteen.
How to bury drops
When a small child’s ear hurts, antibiotics and drops are prescribed for his treatment. Unlike an adult, who can explain everything in detail, it is difficult to give a drug to a baby. Children resist, act up or shake their heads from side to side. Before you drop the ears, the baby needs to be reassured, explaining that the treatment does not hurt and he will soon become better. Some children are easily distracted from pain at the sight of toys.
Having calmed the baby, lay it on one side with a sore ear, continuing to explain your actions. Next put a bunny or a bear. After making the first procedure for the toy, show the child that it does not hurt at all. Carefully clean the ear canal with a cotton swab before administering the medicine. This object should not be inserted deeply in order not to damage the eardrum. Then drip a few drops and place a cotton swab in the hole so that the medicine does not flow out.
Features of treatment of newborns
The specialist should deal with the treatment of inflammation of the ears in newborns, since self-medication, incorrect or delayed therapy often leads to serious complications, such as loss of hearing, or the spread of infection to neighboring areas. To restore these kids should not resort to the methods of traditional medicine. To treat newborns, doctors use antibiotics, antipyretic and vasoconstrictor agents permitted at this age.
Why does the ear hurt
For various reasons, a child’s ears can be hurt:
- structural features of the child's body. Children's auditory tube is short. Another is the angle of inclination of the tube to the nasopharynx (it is smaller than that of an adult). Fluid from the nasopharynx region easily enters this tube and causes inflammation, which then spreads to the middle ear, in which fluid accumulates, pressing on the eardrum, there is severe pain,
- genetics. If the problems with the ears often disturbed the mother and / or father in childhood, then with a high degree of probability the ears will often hurt their child too.
- nationality. It has been proven that ear infections are almost never found in Japanese, and the children of Indians and Eskimos suffer from them quite often,
- SARS. Viral diseases affect children more often than adults. Inflammation of the ear "complements" the temperature, cough,
- bacterial infection. The middle ear is often affected by bacteria: streptococcus, hemophilus bacillus, moraxsella. Ear pain caused by bacteria suddenly occurs, it is not accompanied by a runny nose and cough, the temperature either remains normal or rises slightly,
- allergic reactions. Ear diseases are often associated with allergic rhinitis. The nasopharynx swells, fluid accumulates in the auditory tube, causing inflammation.
How to relieve pain and how urgently to help
The most sensible solution to the problem will be to immediately consult a doctor, since only a specialist will be able to examine the child’s ear in detail using an otoscope. If you cannot get to the doctor in the near future, you need to act as follows:
- Pain relief Ibuprofen or Paracetamol can be used for pain relief (taken orally). These same tools will help reduce the temperature of the child.
- To drip into the nose drops (vasoconstrictor). This tool will help relieve swelling, open the auditory tube, as a result, the accumulated fluid can flow into the nasopharynx, reducing pressure on the membrane and soothing pain.
Caution with drops
Problems with the ears bother many children, so some caring parents in advance buy in the pharmacy ear drops with anti-inflammatory and anesthetic action, so that in the case of the disease "to be fully armed." The most popular Otipaks, Otinum. Of course, these remedies are effective, but they have a serious contraindication - they should not be instilled in violation of the integrity of the eardrum (one of the signs of damage is fluid flowing from the ear). Independently assess the integrity of the membrane is impossible, you need special equipment, so it is better not to use a drop without a doctor's prescription. Through the damaged membrane, they can penetrate into the middle ear and cause further hearing loss. Are such victims justified?
Will dry heat help?
Opinions about the application of a dry warm compress are ambiguous. Some doctors recommend warming up a sore ear, others do not recommend, still others suggest sticking to the middle (you can warm up, you cannot overheat). Who is right?
Dry heat can really benefit if you apply it at the very beginning of the development of the disease. It helps to relieve inflammation, reduce pain, but if the result is the opposite (when applying pain, e decreases and increases), then dry heat should be discarded.
You can not warm the ear, if it hurts for several hours, because such pain speaks of inflammation, which only intensifies when heated. Heating increases pressure on the membrane, which may cause it to burst.
In case of ear disease, you can use a simple cotton compress. A large piece of cotton wool is applied to the painful ear, which is covered with a film on top and tied with a scarf. This bandage will not significantly heat up the sore ear, it will protect it from external influences, since during inflammation the painful sensations intensify even with a slight wind blow. It is not necessary to insist on such a compress, if the child categorically refuses it (naughty, tears off the bandage). Nervous shock only exacerbates the situation.
The methods listed above (dry heat, compresses) cannot be used for:
- a significant increase in temperature
- liquid and purulent discharge from the ear.
You can’t overheat your ear much, so you should forget about the “grandmother's” tips (warm the ear with hot salt, boiled egg). It is not recommended to make alcohol compresses and put alcohol (boric) in the baby’s ear, because it is highly toxic.
It happens that the ear pain is caused by inflammation of the auditory tube itself. This is the so-called external otitis. A characteristic symptom of the disease is increased pain, or delaying the ear shell, opening the mouth. The auditory canal swells and narrows, there are red rashes, itching.
External otitis can be caused by:
- Excessive hygiene. Removal of protective sulfur from the ear leads to the reproduction of pathogenic organisms that cause inflammation.
- Injury. Young children often put foreign objects in their ears (buttons, needles) and traumatize the passage.
- Water ingress. Due to frequent swimming, diving, water enters the ear, causing inflammation. External otitis often suffer swimmers.
There are 2 forms of it:
- Diffuse Such inflammation is provoked by bacteria, fungi, allergens. Microorganisms spread in case of trauma to the ear canal and insufficient sulfur layer. Such otitis is characterized by: severe pain, fever,
- Limited With such otitis in the auditory canal, there are foci of inflammation: furuncle, inflamed hair follicle. The child has enlarged lymph nodes. When opening and tearing the boil, pus flows from the ear.
The doctor can diagnose otitis externa, since the child’s ear canal is very narrow, and inflammation can only be seen in it with the help of special equipment.
Treatment of otitis externa
It is possible to treat external otitis at home, but the doctor must prescribe drugs and monitor recovery. The treatment procedure includes the use of:
- Drugs. External otitis is treated with anti-inflammatory drugs. If the disease is caused by bacteria - the doctor will prescribe a course of antibiotics. It is allowed to lay in the ear flagella with ointment, the use of lotions.
- Additional funds. Among them are popular warming compresses, vitamin complexes,
If severe inflammation does not go away for a long time, hospitalization may be required to open an abscess.
Before going to the doctor, you can give your child painkillers.
The ins and outs of dropping ear drops
Otitis is treated with ear drops (you do not need to prescribe them yourself, you can harm). When digging in, you need to comply with a number of conditions:
- Wash hands thoroughly before the procedure.
- Drops should not be cold. Before use, they must be heated in hot water or in your hand. To test the temperature of the drops, you can dripping them on your hand.
- The child during the procedure should lie on its side, his ear must be held.
- The ear of a baby needs to be pulled back and slightly down; in older children, back and slightly up.
- The baby must lie on its side in order for the drops to work, then the procedure should be repeated with the second ear.
- After the instillation of the droplets, the ear canal of the child must be closed with cotton.
- Do not exceed recommended dosage. You do not need to drop 3 drops, if the doctor recommended 2, it will not speed up recovery, but only harm the child. Be sure to observe the frequency and interval between treatments.
- If for dropping drops you need an additional pipette (not all of them have it), then before each procedure it should be treated with boiling water.
- If the child is worried about only one ear, the drops should be buried in both.
After examining the doctor and his permission to use drops, compresses, you can use traditional medicine as a complex therapy. The ear can be treated:
- camphor oil. It is slightly warmed and buried in the ear,
- Pelargonium leaflet (room geranium). The leaf of the plant is kneaded in the hand, rolled up into a bag and inserted into the ear,
- walnut oil. the oil is squeezed out of the nut itself and 2 drops are buried in the ear,
- propolis and honey. Both components are mixed (1: 1 ratio), instilled 2 drops into each ear overnight,
- oil and propolis. Propolis and corn oil (you can use olive oil) are mixed (1: 2), put on a cotton swab and put into each ear,
- baked onions. Bake the onion before extracting the juice, remove it from the oven, squeeze the juice through gauze and put it in the ear (warm it),
There are a lot of folk remedies that help to cure otitis media, but do not forget about the individual characteristics of each baby. Do not use those recipes that have substances that cause allergies.
So, we repeat once again the algorithm of action for pain in the ears of a child. Firstly, to give the baby an anesthetic, and secondly, to take the child to a specialist and follow his recommendations in treatment.
Why does a child's ear ache
There are a lot of reasons for pain in the ears. In many cases, parents themselves will be able to determine what caused the pain. To do this, it is enough to analyze what the baby did in the last 24 hours, and what he fell ill in the coming week. Causes of pain can be both external and internal factors.
The pain in the ear of a child does not arise just like that, this pathological phenomenon arises due to negative factors. To determine what caused the pain, you need to inspect the ear of the baby. If the child has not yet turned 2 years old, it is better to carry out the examination for two adults, one of them holds the baby a little:
- Carefully examine the auditory canal. If it has a foreign body, you can try to remove it yourself. For this, the head is tilted in the direction of the problem ear. If the foreign body is tightly inserted into the channel, you should not even try to remove it, it is unacceptable to use cotton swabs, tweezers and other sharp objects. In this case, only a doctor can help.
- Gently press on the ear trestle - this is a cartilaginous protrusion that is located at the entrance to the ear canal. If the crumb reacts absolutely calmly to such an action, then the cause of the pain is not in the ear, but in other organs, but the pain only.
- Measure the temperature. Если у малыша болят уши и это сопровождается повышением температуры, то причина кроется в остром отите или евстахиите. В этом случае родители могут несколько облегчить состояние малыша, дав ему жаропонижающий и противовоспалительный препарат. Деткам можно дать Парацетамол или Ибупрофен в терапевтической дозировке.
- If the aching pain in the ear without fever, then the cause of this condition may be some kind of external factor or high blood pressure. If the house has a tonometer with a special children's cuff, the pressure should be measured.
- If the shooting is observed against the background of purulent discharge, then the cause of this may be an infectious disease.
- The bluish and swollen eye can talk about an insect bite or injury. Often, during active games, kids hit and do not even notice it.
- Formation of whitish plaque in the auditory canal and desquamation may indicate a fungal infection. In this case, you must pass the scraping of the ear, and only then prescribe treatment.
If a child has a bad ear, it becomes whiny and restless. Parents in this case should have a little patience and try to alleviate the condition of the crumbs. To do this, slightly anesthetize the ear, giving Paracetamol or another approved drug.
Backache in the ear can be so strong that they can not be tolerated. The task of parents as soon as possible to alleviate the condition of the baby.
How to remove the pain in the ear of a child
All parents should know how to provide first aid for ear pain in a child. This knowledge will be useful if the problem occurred at night or on a day off, when the doctor is not working. In the home, you can relieve pain by following these instructions:
- If you have a bad ear at night, you can call an ambulance. Doctors will help the baby, and if necessary they will be taken to the ENT department of the hospital.
- The baby is undergoing anesthesia - they give a resolved anesthetic, often paracetamol or Nurofen. The medication must be given in a timely manner, it is not worth much to pull, because the crumb will cry a lot and will not be able to sleep.
- At home, a sick compress can be done to a sick child. For this, a piece of gauze is moistened in vodka diluted with water and placed around the auricle, covered over with a piece of cellophane and tied with a warm scarf. The auditory canal should remain open, put a compress only around the ear. Children who are not 4 years old can wear a cap over them.
- You can drip a couple of drops of heated vegetable oil in the sore ear. Our grandmothers used this method, and it really helps.
- Treatment can be supplemented by applying dry heat. To do this, heat the salt or any grits in a dry pan, put it in a sock and apply it to the organ of hearing. Care must be taken that the croup or salt is not very hot. It is impossible to carry out any warming procedures in the event that pus leaks from the ear.
- At high temperatures, an antipyretic drug is given to the sick child. You can moisten a piece of cotton in heated boric alcohol and put it in the diseased ear. The patient is given more to drink.
- If the lumbago in the ear has been before, you can drip in the ear that drug, which the doctor prescribed earlier. Quite often, doctors prescribe the drug Otipaks, which will help reduce inflammation and pain.
These are all actions that parents can take before going to the doctor. The main thing is to set aside a panic and have patience, it is also important to calm the baby. The baby is worth taking in hand, sing songs to him and tell your favorite fairy tales. Usually an hour after taking the anesthetic, the condition improves, and the baby quietly falls asleep until the morning.
If, despite all the measures taken, the condition of the sick baby does not improve, it is urgent to call an ambulance..
Even if there is no ear in the ear in the morning, it is necessary to show the baby to the doctor anyway. This will avoid chronic otitis.
How to treat
Medicines for the treatment of ear diseases should be prescribed by a doctor. The treatment regimen may differ slightly, depending on what led to the inflammatory process. Otitis treatment is most often carried out at home. A patient is hospitalized only in case of severe disease and if the child is less than one year old. The doctor may prescribe such drugs:
- Broad-spectrum antibiotics - Augmentin and Amoxicillin are often prescribed for otic pathologies. Only in case of intolerance to drugs of the penicillin group, macrolides or cephalosporins are prescribed. In general, drugs are prescribed in tablets, injections are indicated for purulent course.
- Ear drops - Otipaks, Otinum, Garazon, Sofradeks. The last drug is a powerful antibiotic that can be taken only as prescribed by a doctor.
- Removers for removing cork Remo Remo-Vaks. It is prescribed not only for treatment, but also for the prevention of sulfur accumulations.
- Means for removing sulfuric plug - vaseline oil or hydrogen peroxide.
- Antifungal agents - in case of otomycosis, they prescribe washing the ears with a solution of Nystatin and lubricating the skin with Vishnevsky ointment.
Medicines should be taken at least 5 days, following all the recommendations of the doctor. Do not stop treatment with antibacterial drugs at the first signs of improvement. This can lead to a chronic inflammatory process.
During treatment, the child should be shown at least twice a week. The doctor will be able to track the effectiveness of the treatment and, if necessary, adjust it.
Many doctors include folk remedies in the treatment of ear diseases. Such an integrated approach allows you to quickly eliminate inflammation and prevent complications:
- Almond oil is pipetted, slightly warmed over the kettle and 1 drop is dropped into each ear canal. The procedure is repeated 3 times a day.
- Chamomile decoction is prepared from a teaspoon of inflorescences and a glass of water. Insist until the infusion has cooled to a temperature of approximately 37 degrees. The resulting solution is washed problem ear a couple of times a day. Alternatively, you can moisten the gauze turunda in the broth and lay it in your ear.
- Squeeze the juice from the aloe leaves, mix it with warm water, in the ratio of 1: 3, in the resulting solution moisten the cotton turundum, which is then laid in the problem ear. Keep such a turunda should not less than an hour.
- In a small bowl pour 100 grams of water and add a tablespoon of honey to it. In the resulting solution boil a wide, but thin piece of beets until tender. Then the beets are slightly cooled and applied to the ear for 40 minutes. Top cover with a piece of cellophane and a scarf.
- A few sprigs of lemon balm brew in a glass of boiling water, insist and cool a little. Wash the auditory canals with a warm solution 3 times a day. Washing can be carried out only if there is no allergy to herbal preparations and the eardrum is not damaged.
- 1/3 teaspoon of honey is mixed with the same amount of water and 5 drops of propolis alcohol tincture are added. The resulting solution is dripped into the sore ear 3 times a day, 1 drop each.
Geranium, which grows in most houses on the window, helps cure many ear diseases. A leaf is cut from the plant, it is washed and a little squeezed with fingers, a specific smell of geranium will appear. Next, the leaflet is folded into a tube and shallowly inserted into the auditory canal. Keep the geranium in the ear for 2-3 hours. The substances that make up the plant have a destructive effect not only on bacteria and viruses, but also on fungi.
Any popular methods can be applied only in consultation with the doctor. It is unacceptable to engage in self-treatment, especially when it comes to younger children.
To prevent ear diseases, you should follow these recommendations:
- To clean the ears, use cotton flagella. Cotton swabs can be used only to clean the ear and external auditory canal.
- After washing the baby's head, they put on a light cap.
- It is necessary to treat colds in a timely manner and in full.
- After swimming in open ponds dry the ear canals.
The baby should be taught to blow its nose correctly, first clear one nostril, then the second. If you flush two nostrils at once, there is a high probability of developing otitis.
If a child has an earache at night or on a day off, parents should try to alleviate his condition. As a first aid, you can warm your ear with warm heat or drip it with a little heated oil.
Causes of earache
When providing first aid to a child, it is important to understand why the baby has pain. There are several causes of ear diseases. Earache in a child can be initiated by external and internal factors. External causes include those caused by mechanical or traumatic effects.
Diagnosis of the disease
To determine the possible causes of earache at home is necessary for the choice of further action plan The first thing to do is to remember what the kid was doing that day. Swimming and active games can be direct or indirect causative agents of the disease. If a child has recently suffered a disease or is sick at the moment, earache can be a complication. The sequence of further actions:
- Carefully inspect the organ of hearing. If you have a foreign object, you will probably notice it. The procedure will also help to determine if there is purulent discharge.
- If the baby is prone to pressure drops, you need to measure it.
- Gently push the cartilage down the ear. If it doesn’t bring additional discomfort to the baby, then most likely the pain is an echo of dental, headache or other pain.
- Measure the patient's body temperature.
If you identify more serious symptoms, it is better to consult a specialist who will prescribe treatment.
Prescribe drugs can only be a doctor. Self-medication will not bring results at best, or may lead to a complication of the condition at worst. Especially attentive need to be if you can not figure out what caused the ear. Let's find out which drugs will help in the treatment of earache and are applied even if the baby is simply blown.
Painkillers and antipyretic
Recommendations of doctors when choosing antipyretic and analgesic drugs are reduced most often to Nurofen and Paracetamol. These medicines have properties to lower body temperature and relieve pain. Drugs can be found in different consistencies. The dosage is selected depending on the age of the patient. In the absence of high temperature, these funds do not lead to its decrease.
It is necessary to bury drops in an ear when the child is in a prone position on the side. Drops should not be cold. They can be heated by holding in your hand. After the procedure, the baby should lie down for a while. Dig in should be in two ears at once - this will not allow the infection to spread. The minimum duration of the procedure is 4 days.
In medical practice, the following are widely used:
- When diagnosing otitis, Otipaks is an effective tool (we recommend reading: instructions for using Otipaks for children). It is convenient because it relieves inflammation and pain symptom. It should be borne in mind that allergy sufferers of this drug should be used with caution - it contains lidocaine, which causes allergies in some children.
- Older than one year recommend the use of Otinum ear drops. They relieve inflammation and earache. The tool is effective in the treatment of fungal infections, is used for washing the ear passages.
- Garazon has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. However, up to 8 years of age it is not recommended.
- Drops of Sofradex in the composition contain an antibiotic. The medicine relieves itching and inflammation. It consists of antiallergic components.
- Remo vax is popular for removing traffic jams. The components of the drug are non-aggressive, it can be used for children from birth.
Vasoconstrictor nasal drugs
Preparations are selected depending on the age of the baby. Of the vasoconstrictor apply the following drops:
- up to 1 year - Nazol Baby,
- from 1 year old - Naphthyzinum, Vibrocil, Otrivin, Sanorin,
- from 2 years old - Xilen.
As with other drugs, their use should be reasonable. Cali in the nose will not only relieve pain, but they are also helpful in the treatment of diseases that caused ear pain.
Antibiotics are prescribed to children in difficult cases of otitis, if the child has a purulent infection or other diseases in an acute form. Start taking antibiotics without the appointment of a specialist is highly undesirable. Drugs are prescribed in combination with other drugs. A small list of frequently prescribed drugs:
- Amoxicillin. It is used in infectious and inflammatory diseases. Dosage for different ages is different.
- Augmentin. Effective with otitis. With care it needs to be applied to the patients inclined to an allergy.
- Amoxiclav This antibiotic is relatively safe. Its use is possible even for infants.
- Sumamed. The drug is available in the form of tablets and suspensions. It is used for children from 6 months.
Warming up and compresses
Warming up the ear allows you to remove pain and, thanks to improved blood circulation, speed up the healing process. Contraindications to the procedure are:
- the presence of purulent discharge from the ear canal,
- high body temperature,
- soreness when pressing on the trestle, its swelling ..
Effective alcohol compresses. For their manufacture is useful and vodka. It is necessary that the compress does not create discomfort for the little patient. It is best to make a compress from a soft cotton fabric, gauze or bandage will also work.
Cut a square 10-15 cm, depending on the size of the head. Make a vertical incision for the ear. Dampen a cloth with warm vodka (alcohol is diluted one to two) and put it on your ear. Put a cellophane square on top. The ear will be outside. Warm and wrap a scarf. The pain subsides after 20 minutes. To prolong the effect of a compress you need to do at night. During the day, the child should be in it for several hours.
Causes of pain
Why does a child’s ear hurt? Soreness causes various factors. One of the reasons is the size of the auditory tube in babies. This part is wider, which adults, from the nasopharynx easily penetrate pathogenic bacteria, an inflammatory process develops. Other dangers: nutritional mixtures, breast milk easily gets into the auditory tube, which threatens with inflammation of the middle ear.
There are other reasons. Sometimes a negative impact from the outside is combined with pathological processes inside the body, a severe form of otitis develops with an abundance of purulent secretions.
- viral or fungal infection,
- the onset of a cold or the development of a chronic form
- complication of parotitis, deep caries, sore throat, sinusitis,
- otitis. The external form of the disease develops after a wound or abscess in the auditory canal, the middle one - as a complication of inflammation of the nasopharyngeal mucosa,
- hypotension, high intracranial / blood pressure, problems with cerebral circulation,
- inflammatory process in the Eustachian tube,
- damage to the auditory nerve.
Learn more about the symptoms and treatment of pertussis in children.
What if the child does not pronounce the letter p? Read the answer in this article.
- the kid shoved a foreign body into the ear: a button, a ball, a cotton wool, a small detail from a toy,
- a large amount of sulfur, blocking the ear canal, with insufficient / improper cleaning of the ears,
- injury (insect bite, burn, bruise, burst eardrum),
- "Pouted ear." The problem arises when walking in cold, windy weather without a cap,
- water penetration into the deep ear. Most often, inflammation develops if the fluid was dirty / cold.
Ear pains in infants
Signs of pain inside the ear of babies:
- feeding anxiety,
- bad intermittent sleep
- pussy moans in a dream, tossing and turning, waking up with crying
- the baby lies on the big eye trying to relieve the pain
- temperature is often higher than normal
- appetite disappears: chewing, sucking movements cause severe discomfort,
- yellowish stains from the discharge from the ear canal are often noticeable on the pillow,
- crumb rubbed ear, often crying.
Otitis in children under 5 years
- the child constantly touches the ear, puts pressure on the outer part of the ear canal, trying to relieve pain,
- the kid complains of pain in his cheek or tooth
- turning the neck feels sore,
- the child is naughty, quickly irritated,
- often the temperature rises, sleep worsens,
- inflammation of the deep zones is accompanied by the release of purulent masses. After sleep, yellowish-brown traces remain on the pillow.
Tips for parents
The most important thing is not to panic. If you suspect otitis media in infants, give first aid. If the pain is strong, not subsiding, call an ambulance. For older children, invite a district pediatrician. When the severity of the case will require consultation otolaryngologist.
How to act in identifying a certain factor that provoked severe discomfort of the ear zone:
- injury, bruise. Call an ambulance or take the injured baby to the emergency room. Trouble happened at night? Do not wait until the morning, you must act quickly Hold the child upright in your arms, make sure that he turns his head less. When nausea, vomiting, you can not put the baby, otherwise the vomit will fall into the respiratory tract,
- burst eardrum. It is impossible to clean the sore ear with cotton buds: due to inexperience, parents injure the delicate tissues even more. Consult your ENT doctor. Специалист обработает слуховой проход, удалит гной специальными приспособлениями.With timely access to a doctor, the membrane will heal within a month, hearing is restored, ear congestion disappears,
- otitis (fungal, viral infection, eustachitis, inflammation as a complication of the common cold, tonsillitis). In the absence of purulent discharge, a warming compress is allowed. If a thick, yellowish-brown mass is released, especially with blood, you can not warm your ear. With a very strong pain, suddenly appeared in the evening or at night, give an analgesic for children: Ibufen, Nurofen. Do not give analgesics before the doctor arrives. If the child is screaming, can not calm down even after a dose of anesthetic, call an ambulance,
- horrible foreign body. Seek medical attention. Only a specialist will carefully remove the foreign object without strong pressure on the fabric. Wrong actions of parents drive a button, a detail from a toy, a bead even deeper, there is a risk of injury to the eardrum,
- an insect fell in the ear. When moving the legs, the wings cause a sharp pain. If, in addition, the insect has bitten the area inside the ear, the pain becomes unbearable. You can not dismiss the complaints of the child, laugh at him. Immediately drop 1 drop of camphor oil inside the ear canal, wait until the insect dies. Visit an otolaryngologist as soon as possible: the doctor will carefully remove the insect, wash the ear with a disinfectant solution.
What not to do
Doctors point out common mistakes that young parents often make. Improper actions increase the spread of infection, increase the volume of pus.
You can not:
- giving painkillers independently before the arrival of the doctor: the symptoms will "get dirty", it will be more difficult for the doctor to understand what happened to the baby,
- treat the child at home, refuse to consult a pediatrician and an ENT specialist,
- apply questionable folk recipes,
- burying ear drops: if the eardrum has burst: any solution in the ear will harm the baby,
- warm the ear, put warming compresses, if pus leaks from the auricle: the heat provokes the development of the inflammatory process, the exudate most likely penetrates into the adjacent organs and tissues,
- independently to get a foreign body from the ear canal, if the baby has admitted that he has shoved a ball or a button inside,
- refuse antibiotics if the doctor prescribes drugs for the development of infection, the abundance of purulent masses.
How to give first aid
First aid for ear pain in a child:
- check if the child’s ear really hurts. Symptoms of inflammation, complaints, methods for confirming the diagnosis at home are described above,
- call the district pediatrician. If the condition is severe, a sharp, sharp pain suddenly arises, call the ambulance,
- in the absence of discharge from the ear canal, make a spirit compress. If you called an "ambulance", do nothing,
- give painkillers to the baby only in a situation if your ear is very sick in the evening or at night. Had to call the ambulance brigade? Analgesics do not let the symptoms be clearly visible,
- give a febrifuge at high temperatures. Suspension or syrup is recommended for temperatures from 38 degrees,
- Be sure to water the baby: boiled water will do,
- warm slightly boric acid, moisten cotton wool, gently put in the eyelet. It is impossible to press a turundum strongly. After a while, the pain subsides a bit,
- hold the baby in your arms, calm down, talk to him in order to distract from severe pain.
In the absence of purulent discharge, correctly put a warming compress:
- the first layer is gauze soaked in alcohol diluted with water 1: 1. Pre-cut to the size of the auricle,
- the second layer is a plastic bag with a hole for the ear,
- the top layer is a scarf, a woolen scarf to keep warm. Wrap your head so that the first two layers are pressed to the area near the auricle.
Means and recipes for pain relief
Ear drops will help reduce inflammation, relieve pain.
- Sofradex. An antibiotic that rapidly inhibits the activity of pathogenic bacteria.
- Otipaks. Effective remedy for otitis media. The composition contains lidocaine, some babies have allergic reactions to the analgesic substance,
- Otinum. Good remedy with active analgesic and anti-inflammatory action. Allowed to use after 1 year.
- Otofa Potent drug, the active substance - the antibiotic rifampicin. Uncontrolled use is strictly prohibited. The tool quickly relieves inflammation of the middle ear.
Always consider the age of the young patient. Check the expiration date of the drops, follow the storage conditions.
Learn about the causes and methods of treatment of bruxism in children.
About the first signs and symptoms of intestinal dysbiosis in infants is written in this article.
At http://razvitie-malysha.com/zdorovie/bolezni/lor/faringit.html read about how and how to treat pharyngitis in a child.
How to treat a sore ear at home? Folk recipes:
- pre-warmed almond / walnut oil. 1 drop three times a day
- honey plus propolis tincture. Equal proportions. Excellent effect even with the appearance of purulent discharge. Dosage - 2 drops, frequency - three times a day,
- cedar nut oil. Active disinfectant recommended for the treatment of fungal infections.
- timely treatment of colds, diseases of the nasopharynx, the fight against tooth decay. Do not allow the transition of the acute phase of viral, fungal or bacterial infections to chronic,
- strengthening the immune system, walking in the air, nutrition rich in vitamins, hardening,
- Clean your ears regularly, but do not overdo it. It is not worth rubbing for a long time, with pressure: you yourself will provoke tissue irritation, further inflammation. Clean the outer part of the ear, do not push the cotton buds far inside,
- in windy, cold weather, be sure to wear a cap or hat for the weather. Make sure the children do not freeze.
What to do if a child has an ear ache? Useful tips in the following video: