Pull-ups on the horizontal bar - one of the most affordable, but at the same time effective exercises for working with its own weight. When performing pull-ups, it is possible not only to work out the muscles qualitatively, but also to stretch the spine, which is very important, especially for professional athletes.
You can engage in pull-ups in any place where there is a crossbar: on the sports field, in your own apartment, in the gym, and with special enthusiasm even on a branch of the nearest tree. Frankly, to greatly increase muscle mass with the help of pull-ups can not. But you can well emphasize the relief of the back and arms, as well as increase the power performance of these muscle groups. Pull-ups are different. It is the types of pull-ups on the bar that determine which muscles will work to a greater extent. All existing types of pull-ups differ in the way and width of the grip. Today we will find out what are the types of pull-ups on the bar. Photos of each of them will help us in this.
The traditional option, which is popular with both domestic fizrukov and American special forces. The main burden in this case falls on the back muscles and biceps.
The technique is quite simple: grab the bar with a grip equal to the width of the shoulders. Hang on, dumbly arching your back and crossing your legs (in this case, the body will be less loose). Now you can pull up, reducing the shoulder blades. At the end point, try to touch the crossbar with your upper chest. At the lowest point, in order to stretch the muscles better, you need to straighten your arms completely.
Medium bottom grip
Bottom grips on the bar is always easier, and this option proves it. It is simpler than the previous one, since it has more pressure on the biceps, and they do a better job than the back, especially among beginners.
The grip is made the same width as last time, only now the hands are turned with palms to the body. When performing pull-ups, it is worth adhering to the same principles, only now at the very beginning of the movement you need to move your shoulders back and down. Then the forearms will remain perpendicular to the floor throughout the movement.
Wide grip to the chest
Different types of pull-ups on the bar have a different effect on our muscles. This option is the most useful. But, as is usually the case, all the best is given only by hard work. This is the most difficult option of pull-ups, which among newbies causes panic. Moreover, even among the regulars of the gyms, there is not always a person who can catch up with a wide grip correctly. In this case, several spinal muscles enter at once: a pair of round, trapezoidal and latissimus.
It is necessary to take up the crossbar from above, by a grip, in width approximately equal to the grip for a bench press. An important caveat - the thumb should be wrapped around the bar on top, like all other fingers. Such a small trick allows you to better stretch the dorsal muscles. Without straining the biceps, rising due to the information of the shoulder blades, you need to pull up until the chest top touches the crossbar. When this position is close, you need to bend backwards and look up. Ideally, at the top point you need to linger for a few seconds.
Wide grip on the head
Continuing to consider the types of pull-ups on the horizontal bar, we will focus on the popular, but rather traumatic option - pull-ups with a wide grip on the head. With insufficient mobility of the shoulder joints, as well as improper performance, you can get a serious injury.
In this way of pulling up, the same muscles are used as in the previous one, but the broadest muscles of the back are more carefully worked out. The width of the grip is also no different. When stretching, in this case you should not bend your back, the body together with the legs should create one straight line. Elbows during movement should be directed strictly down, not back. At the top of the back of the neck in contact with the crossbar. Before you can make a move in full amplitude, it’s likely to take some time. This is normal, and even good, because during this time you will learn the correct technique. If you suddenly feel pain in your shoulders or back during the pull-ups, stop the exercise immediately and carefully lower to the starting position!
Narrow grip on top
It's time to consider the types of pull-ups on the bar with a narrow grip. Let's start with the grip "on top". This exercise option is well suited for people suffering from insufficient mobility of the wrist joints. He works well on the lower part of the latissimus, serrated and to some extent the shoulder muscles.
It is necessary to take up the crossbar as narrow as possible (so that the thumbs are almost touching). Having arched in a back it is necessary to execute tightening, aspiring to touch a shell of the lower part of a breast.
Narrow grip bottom
This option is usually performed as a lightweight alternative to the previous one or in order to pull the latissimus muscles of the back downwards. In addition to the bottom of the broadest, the load also receive the biceps.
Like last time, the projectile is taken as narrow as possible, only now palms are turned towards themselves. Hanging on straight arms, you need to bend your back and look at the hand. During the pull-up, you need to focus on the best possible mixing of the shoulder blades and shoulder retraction. When approaching the top point, try to bend more in the back and touch the horizontal bar to the lower part of the chest.
Neutral grip along the crossbar
Having considered the classic types of pull-ups on the horizontal bar, we turn to the more specific. This type allows you to work out the lower part of the latissimus, serrated and partially shoulder muscles.
You need to take the crossbar so that one fist is in front of the other. When slinging, you need to actively bend over your back and try to touch the horizontal bar with the lower part of the pectoral muscles. At the top of the head starts to turn aside from the horizontal bar. With each repetition, this side changes. And in each new approach the position of the hands changes. If possible, you can hang a V-shaped handle on the horizontal bar that allows you to make the exercise more comfortable.
Partial pull-up bottom grip
The exercise is aimed at the highest quality study of the biceps. It uses the principle of concentration load. Holding the crossbar with the average reverse grip, you need to pull up exactly to half (when there is a right angle between the shoulder and forearm). This will be the starting position. Having fixed the body in a vertical position, you need to pull yourself up, trying to reach the crossbar of the clavicle. Small amplitude, as well as the absence of points of stretching and resting the biceps allows you to achieve maximum load.
Having discussed the types of pull-ups on the bar and the muscle groups that are involved in them, let's talk a little about the training program that allows you to achieve success. Before committing to training, you need to determine your maximum in one form or another of pull-ups. Then you need to see which group you belong to, and carry out the specified complex at least twice a week. After a month, you need to re-test your capabilities and, in the event of an increase in strength, proceed to the next level of difficulty.
The first category: the best attempt - 1-2 times
Those people who fall into this category are too weak for their own weight. Therefore, we must start with the passive part of the pull-ups. That is, you need to rise with the help of the legs, becoming on the bench, and lowering already under your weight. The first two weeks you need to do 3 sets of 5 repetitions, dropping for 5-6 seconds. Then you can increase the time of lowering to 8-10 seconds, and reduce the number of approaches to two.
The benefits of the exercise and the basic rules
Pull-ups are needed in the training program, both boys and girls. They are not only responsible for pumping arms, backs, shoulders and abdominals, but also have a beneficial effect on overall well-being. Regular exercise has a positive effect on the state of the spine, joints and the musculoskeletal system as a whole. The training also develops strength and endurance of the body.
To master the exercise and achieve noticeable results in a short time, beginners need to swing the top, adhering to a number of simple rules and recommendations:
- Warming up is a prerequisite for training. Before performing the exercise, you must perform rotational movements with your hands, neck, head. Perfectly suitable for jumping rope, running.
- It is necessary to move smoothly and evenly, without jerking and twitching.
- It is important to comply with the technique. Every movement should be sharp and clear. The goal of the lesson is quality, not quantity. To master the basics, use the step-by-step description of the exercise in pictures or video.
- Observe the breathing technique. You need to exhale, pull up, and inhale to go down to its original position.
- If you have not practiced before, learn the technique in theory, then proceed to practice. Do not be discouraged if you immediately get only 3-5 full-fledged pull-ups. Efforts and time will do their work, and in a month the initial amount will increase several times.
The build-up of muscle mass and the formation of a beautiful topography is influenced not only by regular physical exertion, but also by proper nutrition. The athlete should eat more protein foods, as well as consume complex carbohydrates that give energy and strength. Nutrition should be balanced, rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as other useful nutrients.
Features of the load and its effect on the muscles
Which muscles actively swing during pull-ups, and which ones are indirectly involved, depends on the chosen method of the exercise and the width of the grip. Owning different techniques, one can work out problem areas and form an ideal proportional body. We suggest you to study the most popular exercises with photos. Most often, athletes perform pull-ups:
- Straight wide grip. Complicated exercise that allows you to work out the trapezius and latissimus dorsi. Suitable for experienced athletes. Hands should be spread as wide as possible (between the palms should be 70-100 cm) and grab them at the horizontal bar. Thumbs should be on top of the crossbar. Feet together. We move smoothly and strictly in the vertical plane.
- Narrow grip. Pull-ups with a narrow, straight grip imply that the athlete has positioned the arms narrower than the shoulder line. Direct grip means that the palms are turned away from the athlete. During the pull-up, the shoulders, the front toothed muscles and the latissimus muscles and the biceps work the most.
- Reverse average grip (variations - wide and narrow). When performing the main load falls on the biceps and latissimus dorsi. A great solution for beginners. Hands are shoulder-width apart, you need to grasp the crossbar so that your fingers are turned towards you. Raising the body above the level of the horizontal bar, you must ensure that the shoulders are laid back as much as possible.
- Parallel (neutral) grip. Perform the exercise on two parallel crossbars. You need to grab them, bend your legs at the knees and cross. During the training, the lower divisions of the broadest muscle of the back, as well as the muscles of the shoulders and biceps, develop.
- Horizontal or, as they are called, Australian pull-ups. They are performed on a low crossbar. It is necessary to take the starting position. To do this, take the crossbar middle grip. Heels rest on the floor. The athlete hangs on outstretched arms, and then performs flexion and extension of the arms in the elbow joints. During exercise, the body is tense and stretched in a straight line.
- Complicated version are pull-ups for the head or on one hand. When tightening the head will be able to pump out the back, namely, diamond-shaped, latissimus, and a large round muscle. Additionally, the work includes biceps and chest.
Starting position - hanging wide grip on the bar. On the exhale, we pull the body up, but do not stretch to the crossbar with our breasts, and head is pulled forward so that the horizontal bar is at the level of the nape.
Now a few words about pulling with one hand. There are two techniques - grip to yourself and from yourself. The work involved the muscles of the back and forearm, biceps. Auxiliary load falls on the delta. For pull-ups with one hand, you need to grab hold of the horizontal bar with it, with the second palm you can wrap your wrist, then it will be easier. Perform the same number of repetitions for each limb.
See also video:
Now you know what muscles are involved during tightening and how to pump them. If the article was interesting and useful for you, tell your friends about it. For this it is enough to share information on your page in the social. networks. We thank everyone in advance. Until we meet again, friends!
What muscles work when pulling up on the bar?
Not without purpose, the exercise is performed in several variations, since it gives an opportunity to work out different muscle fibers in a complex way, to affect differently with the grip on the muscles and ligaments. Only the full and comprehensive development of the muscles will increase strength, weight and other sports performance.
- the latissimus dorsi,
- big and small round muscles
- diamond shaped
- biceps shoulder
- shoulder muscle,
- less often - deltas and thoracic.
The benefits of pull-ups on the bar for men
- Thanks to the exercise you can develop your backThe grip features can increase muscles in width or thickness, thus being suitable for the training process of each athlete.
- Multifunctionality Exercise allows you to develop several muscle groups, which together gives a powerful anabolic boost to the body as a whole.
How to breathe when pulling up on the bar?
With any load, in any exercise, exhale always run on effort. Thus, from the beginning and to the peak of contraction, exhalation must be done, and in the negative phase (relaxation) - inhalation. Consequently, when pulling up to the crossbar, a powerful exhalation is made, and when extending the elbows - a smooth inhale.
Types of grip when pulling
- Narrow grip - palms are located close to each other on the crossbar.
- Average grip - palms are located across the width of the shoulder joints.
- Wide grip - palms are located wider than the shoulder joints, closer to the edges of the crossbar.
By the location of brushes.
- Parallel (neutral) - narrow or medium grip, in which the palms are parallel to each other on special handles or crossbars.
- Straight grip - palms clasp the crossbar on top, the back of the hand to the athlete.
- Reverse grip - palms clasp the cross-bar with the grip from below, the backside of "from myself".
- A variety of grabs - one hand grabs the crossbeam with a straight grip, and the other with the opposite.
Tightening middle grip
If you have a direct grip, you can develop most of the thickness of the broadest back muscle, also the deltas and the upper part of the pectoralis major muscle.
- Grasp the horizontal bar shoulder width, or a little wider (if there is discomfort in the joints).
- Bend your knees, look at the ceiling.
- With exhalation, pull up the chest to the crossbar, hold the back of the "wheel".
- While inhaling, gently unbend your elbows, lower without jerk.
Tightening wide grip
Exercise is performed by direct grip wider than shoulders, such a technique develops back muscles wide. In this embodiment, includes the upper part of the latissimus dorsi, round muscles of the back, trapezius.
- Grasp the crossbar wider shoulders, bend your knees.
- With exhalation, pull up the chest to the crossbar, slightly bending the chest section.
- While inhaling, unbend your elbows.
Tightening narrow grip
Narrow palm setting, more develops arm muscles (biceps and forearms) and the lower part of the latissimus muscle.
- Pull ups narrow reverse grip work your biceps,
- but straight - forearm.
- Clasp the crossbar above or below (depending on the muscles you train) palms close to each other.
- Bend your knees, stretch your arms, and as you exhale with a jerk, pull your chin toward the crossbar.
- Sigh down gently.
A more complex version of the classic pull-ups, you need to start the technique after mastering the pull-ups in front of the horizontal bar. In the exercise, all the muscles of the torso are stronger. - back, trapezium, rhomboid and round muscles. Deltas and chest muscles are also connected to them.
- Grasp the crossbar with a wide grip, bend your knees.
- On the exhale, with the efforts of the back muscles, push the torso up and slightly forward in front of the horizontal bar, the back of the head towards the crossbar.
- When inhaling, return the torso to its original position.
Pull up with neutral grip (parallel)
Easy pull-up technique due to the comfortable grip and huge biceps help when pulling up Also, the load falls on the middle of the back, thickening the muscles in diameter, trapezium, delta, dentate muscles and the top of the chest.
- Pull ups chin к перекладине позволит сильнее прокачать бицепс,
- but breastfeeding к снаряду – середину спины.
- Поместите ладони в специальную рукоять для нейтрального хвата или на параллельную перекладину.
- Согнув колени, усилиями рук вытолкните корпус вверх (в нужное положение).
- На разгибании локтей делайте выдох.
A good option for training pull-ups. Its essence lies in the fact that muscles (mostly biceps) receive a load in the negative phase, that is, when the arms are straightened. This is the opposite version of pull-ups, when the muscles get a load while relaxing.
- Stand on the bench with your feet, clasp the crossbar with a wide grip so that your elbows are bent and your chin at the level of the horizontal bar is like in the upper phase of pull-ups.
- Tighten all the muscles and remove the foot from the bench, while remaining hanging in the same position, begin to slowly straighten your arms and gently drop down.
- Return to the bench, take the starting position, and repeat the negative pull-ups.
This style of exercise will allow comprehensively develop muscles, joints from the ligament, since for each side different fibers are included, the rotation of the joints changes. it's the same will strengthen the hands and forearms.
- Grab the horizontal bar with your right hand with a straight grip, and your left hand with a reverse grip. The distance between the palms is slightly wider than the shoulders.
- On the exhale, pull up your chin to the horizontal bar.
- After doing the exercise, change the grip of the brushes.
This kind of pull-ups is no longer used for high-quality muscle work, but as a separate sports standard that trains speed and jerk. The purpose of the technique is to raise the chin above the horizontal bar. Exercise is performed by inertia, the main thing here is not the concentration on the working muscles, but the speed of movement, most often performed on time.
- Grab the horizontal bar with an average straight grip, bend your knees.
- As you exhale with a jerk, push the body upwards with your back and arm muscles, lifting your chin as high as possible from the crossbar.
- On the inhale, lower yourself.
The benefits of pull-ups
For those who have mastered all the techniques of exercise and easily pulled up a large number of times with their own weight, it is possible to add load on the muscles that have adapted to their own body weight. Firstly, it is important for the development and progress of the athlete’s strength indicators. Secondly, it is a way to increase muscle volume.
For progress in the pull-ups, there are belts with a chain, to which you can attach a pancake, a weight, and fasten the chain with a carbine, in order to avoid losing the burden. There are also special backpacks with sand that can be used as a weighting agent, and even make one yourself.
How to pull up: recommendations for training on the bar
If the athlete is still just mastering the pull-ups with his own weight, even from scratch, it is important to always experience the load "to failure of the muscles", on the last repetitions it is necessary to pull up with all his might, until the muscles refuse to work. What is important is what goal the athlete has.
- If an athlete trains power, strength - you need to perform 3-6 reps in the approach, you can work with additional weight.
- If the task is to increase the volume of the muscles, then you should perform 8-12 repetitions.
- And if you need to increase stamina, speed, and just work on the number - perform 15 repetitions and higher.
To benefit from workouts, train your back. no more than 1-2 times a week. Large back muscles recover 5-6 days, so do not rush to pull up until the muscles have fully recovered. The optimal amount is 3-4 approaches.
Pulling ups is a difficult basic exercise, although it is taught from school, not everyone copes with lifting their own weight for different reasons. But to master it is quite realistic, even if it takes more time. If you include an exercise in the training program of the gym, first, you should start pulling up, and then perform other exercises. And if you want to train only on the bar, use all sorts of options for tightening and grip for the integrated development of the torso. The main thing is not to overdo it, follow the correct technique of execution, always warm the ligaments and muscles before the load.
What is pulling up
This is one of the best universal exercises that can build muscle mass, increase endurance, improve health. In the course of this exercise, the person grabs the bar of the horizontal bar and hangs on his straight arms, after which, bending his elbows, raises his body upward until his arms are fully bent at the elbows (the chin should go above the crossbar and the bar itself at shoulder level). In this case, all the dorsal and shoulder muscles when tightening are fully involved and develop harmoniously.
Such movements are natural to man, he created with this skill. From the strength of the back and hands of primitive hunters, the ability to raise their body and throw over an obstacle, their life depended. Now this exercise is the safest from the point of view of natural biomechanics, since it does not injure the spine, but on the contrary, stretches it, strengthens cartilage and stimulates the production of synovial fluid in intervertebral capsules. With systematic workouts using different types of arms, the muscular corset is strengthened.
Athletes recommend for tightening the back to use pull-ups for the head along with traditional methods. It is much more difficult to pull up behind the head, because more muscles are involved in the process:
- the broadest
- diamond shaped
- round dorsal,
- neck muscles
- rear deltas
As a rule, a wide grip on the head is used. This method is perfectly working out the broadest and top of the back. You can use narrow and medium grip, but there are opinions that they are ineffective for the development of the back. In addition, it is necessary to monitor the sensations - such types of training are traumatic. If you do not feel any discomfort, then continue with the classes, taking into account that people with a traumatized neck and injuries of the shoulder girdle cannot pull themselves up with any grip.
One of the effective exercises for the development of the relief of the back - pulling up on the bar on the chest. In this exercise, two movements that are anatomically comfortable for the back are performed: bringing the elbow joint to the body with the elbows retracted and the reduction of the shoulder blades. Thanks to these movements, all muscle groups of the back are involved, which affects the rapid development of power characteristics and appearance. Activated:
- the broadest
- diamond shaped
- round big and small
- front and rear serrated,
Introduction to the work of all these groups at the same time leads the body to severe stress, to which the latter responds with adaptation, which is expressed by the rapid growth of muscle mass and an increase in strength. When pulling up to the chest, the muscles are controlled to prevent jerk-inertial movement when performing a traditional lift to the chin. In this exercise, the main thing is the technique of execution.
What muscles are involved in pulling up on the horizontal bar
To perform this complex exercise, several muscle groups are simultaneously included in the work, movement occurs in the shoulder and elbow joints. The work of the muscles when pulling on the bar begins with the activation of the hands, fingers, forearms, to make a reliable grip on the crossbar. After that, paired large shoulder, dorsal, and shoulder girdles are included in the work.
- An important role in physical development is played by pulling up on the widest muscles of the back. They are responsible for the ability to rotate the arms in the shoulder joints to the center and inside the body, bring the arms in motion for the back, back and towards the center of the body. Athletes called them "wings."
- The next muscle group is trapezium or trapezius muscle. They are located at the base of the skull, stretching down to the middle of the back and to the sides diagonally to the shoulder joints from the thoracic spine. Trapeze set in motion the shoulder blades, support hands. Well-pumped trapezius muscles form a beautiful pattern on the back in the form of an inverted Christmas tree.
- For the beauty, strength and contour of the shoulders meet the delta. They consist of the front middle (lateral), rear beam. Exercises on the horizontal bar develop only the rear beams; they do not radically affect the others, but they have a strengthening effect.
The main group of muscles of the abdominal wall is a press, these are the coveted squares on the abdomen, and in addition, the oblique, transverse and torso-straightening muscles. This muscle group is functionally important for the human body and is responsible for movement, stabilization during exercise, maintaining posture in a standing and sitting position. Strong muscles of the abdomen during pulling up is a reliable foundation for the development of the body and a guarantee of successful exercise of the crossbar.
Pulling up on the muscles of the arms is as effective as the dorsal muscle groups. The forearm consists of flexors / extensors of the fingers, shoulder and arm extensions for bending the arms at the elbows, pronators for turning the palms down, arch supports (turning the palms up). These muscles help to make a secure grip on the crossbeam. Auxiliary are the biceps, due to which the rotational movement of the forearms and elbows bend.
What muscle groups work when pulling up
Depending on what type and with what the grip is practiced, different muscle groups work. In general, the following muscle groups are activated during pulling up:
However, it is not enough to know about the muscle groups involved in the exercise. If the technique is wrong, then training will not only benefit but will become dangerous:
- According to the observations, newcomers when doing the exercise throw back their heads, lift their chins, pull them to the crossbar, tugging at their feet, as if trying to climb the invisible ladder. Many more amateur athletes instinctively throw their bodies up while inhaling, while reducing their shoulders. It is absolutely impossible to do this, otherwise you can damage the cervical vertebrae and earn an intervertebral hernia.
- It is necessary to follow the breath. Before lifting up - take a deep breath, hold your breath and rise, exhaling air above. This will facilitate the work of the broadest, and they themselves push your body up. In addition, holding your breath will help keep small back muscles intact from stretching.
In the traditional way, they pull up even in physical education classes in schools, without thinking about which muscles work with pull-ups with a straight grip. Only after a time with regular workouts, the reliefs on the body become noticeable. Direct grip on the horizontal bar - is the fixation of the hands on the bar with his palms away. This exercise works on the muscles on the back, forearm flexors, biceps, triceps, and shoulder muscles.
Exercises that use the reverse grip on the bar are easier. Beginners are easier to master the exercises of this type, since their shoulders and back are not yet sufficiently developed, and their arms (biceps) are stronger. Therefore, a reverse grip is recommended, in which the biceps are mainly working. Gradually, in this exercise, you can pump wide spinal muscles. To perform the exercise correctly, you need to turn your palms toward you and grab the bar, shoulders slightly back.
a) straight average hold
The most classic grip of all. In the technique of performing pull-ups with this grip, actions are described that are relevant when performing pull-ups with other hooks.
Technique performing pull-ups: place your hands on the cross-bar, shoulder-width apart. The thumb below closes the grip in the "lock". When tightening the legs straight, hold them together. Pull up should be the strength of the muscles, without jerking and twitching (true for all grips). This is when moving up (positive phase). When moving down (negative phase) it is not necessary to completely relax your hands to avoid injury. Descent must be controlled. It is believed that biceps work better in the negative phase than in the positive, so many coaches recommend climbing up 2 times faster than going down. The correct execution is considered to be a repetition, which ended at the top by touching the crossbar with the chest, and at the bottom with fully extended arms.
Trained muscle groups: trapezium and latissimus dorsi, biceps, triceps, shoulder girdle and forearm muscles.
b) reverse average hold
Classic number 2. It is easier to perform than a straight line. Excellent grip for pumping biceps.
Technique performing pull-ups: the reverse middle grip is performed exactly the same as the direct one. The only difference is that this time we place our hands on the crossbar with our palms on ourselves. The thumb also closes the "lock". Performing pull-ups is subject to the same rules and techniques that are described for the direct grip. In the positive phase you need to reduce the blades. At the beginning of the movement it is necessary to ensure that the shoulders do not rise and are laid back and down.
Trained muscle groups: biceps, latissimus dorsi.
c) parallel average grip
Also, as with the reverse middle grip, pulling up with a parallel middle grip is easier for a beginner athlete than straight. Also, the use of both reverse and parallel grip helps to ensure the most optimal amplitude of movement in the elbow joints, while at the same time loading the wrist joints to a minimum.
Technique performing pull-ups: With this grip, you can perform pull-ups on almost any home wall bar, simply by holding the pipes to which the crossbar itself is attached. The technique of direct grip is also relevant here. When tightening the elbows, they naturally pass close to the body.
Trained muscle groups: the broadest muscles of the back, biceps.
a) straight narrow grip
Technique performing pull-ups: with your hands (palms away) grab the crossbar at the minimum distance of the arms from each other. The thumb below closes the "lock". When tightening - the look is directed to the hands, the back is arched. We strive to touch the crossbar lower chest.
Trained muscle groups: lower part of the latissimus muscles, brachialis (brachial muscle), front gear muscles.
b) reverse narrow hold
Technique performing pull-ups: The grip is performed in the same way as the direct grip, but here hands are already clutching the crossbar with their palms on themselves. Also, when pulling up, we try to touch the projectile with the lower part of the chest, but it is necessary to reduce the shoulder blades and move the shoulders back.
Trained muscle groups: bottom of the broadest muscles of the back, biceps.
c) parallel narrow grip
Technique performing pull-ups: the execution of pull-ups with this grip is akin to pull-ups with the return narrow grip. Is that the palms are now parallel and look at each other.
Trained muscle groups: bottom of the broadest muscles of the back, biceps.
a) pull-ups direct wide grip to the chest
Technique performing pull-ups: We grab the crossbar with a grip wider than usual average, approximately like when we are doing the bench press with a barbell. Here, for the best work of the broadest, the thumbs should be placed on top of the crossbar, and from below close the grip in the "lock", as on the other grip. When tightening, try not to strain your biceps. Pay attention to the position of the body - the elbows are looking down, the look is looking up, the back is arched, the shoulder blades are flattened, the chest is drawn to the crossbar. This is the only way to maximally enable your back muscles to work.
Trained muscle groups: paired round muscles, the upper part of the latissimus and trapezius back muscles, biceps.
b) wide grip with pull-ups for the head
Technique performing pull-ups: the technique is similar to pull-ups with a wide wide grip to the chest; we grab the crossbar as well, but there are some nuances here. No need to bend your back with pull-ups. Legs can not be crossed, we build them in line with the body. At the top of the bar should give you a head. Be sure to follow the elbows - they must always look clearly at the floor.
Trained muscle groups: paired round muscles, upper and middle latissimus and trapezius back muscles, biceps.
Pull-ups with grip along the horizontal bar. Technique and muscle
Technique performing pull-ups: grab the crossbar fist to fist. Fists in the "lock" are closed with your thumb. During the pull-ups, turn the head alternately left and right from the crossbar. At the top point of the shoulder touch the crossbar. With each new approach we change the position of the hands relative to each other.
Trained muscle groups: lower back muscles, brachialis (shoulder muscles), dentate muscles.
What muscles work?
Being one of the best basic exercises, the following muscles will be used for tightening with narrow arms:
Unlike pull-ups with wide grip, in which the back muscles are used much more fully, as well as the deltas of the shoulders.
For a beginner turnstile, his own body weight is enough to achieve visible results. Professional athletes use additional weights in the form of weights, suspended on a special belt, or weavers.
Pull-ups with narrow grip
The the reception will appeal to both experienced bartenders and beginners. The main basic movement with its own weight, along with various types of push-ups. No wonder this option is called tightening for biceps. Именно он и задействуется в большей степени, также как и нижняя широчайшая часть спины. Упражнение безопасно как для суставов, так и для связок.
Выполняется подтягивание узким обратным хватом следующим образом:
- Возьмитесь за перекладину так, чтобы расстояние между кистями рук было примерно 10 – 20 сантиметров,
- Hang on the horizontal bar with your legs straight, your arms in a half-bent state (starting position),
- Reduce the muscles of the back and biceps muscles pull up, with the chin should be above the bar (top position),
- In the top position, you need to fix the body for about one second,
- Slowly lower to the starting position, arms in elbows do not fully unbend.
- When performing each exercise, you must observe proper breathing. When lifting the body up you need to exhale, and when lowering to inhale.
Pulling up with a narrow reverse grip is much easier to perform than any other. This is due to the anatomical structure of the human muscles.
Determining your level of fitness
Before you start training, you must determine your maximum level of pull-ups. To do this, you need to pull up the maximum number of times in one approach.
If you pulled up on the bar 1-2 times, then in the first two weeks you need to use a bench.. Stand on the bench, holding the horizontal bar and fixing the body at the top point, touch the crossbar with your chin. Lowering is done slowly, feel how each muscle stiffens. Make at this pace 3 sets of 5 repetitions. Lowering time should be 5 to 10 seconds.
Those who can pull themselves up more than twice should take more approaches, but fewer repetitions. Rest between repetitions should be no more than two minutes.
If you belong to those categories of people who can pull themselves up 5 - 10 times, then you have enough strength, but you need to develop endurance. With each approach, you need to perform the maximum number of repetitions, for 3-4 approaches. In any case, do not immediately try to squeeze the maximum out of yourself. The load must be increased gradually..
Highest level. This category can be attributed to those who can pull themselves up on the crossbar for one approach 10 or more times. If you show such a high result on the horizontal bar, then you are strong enough and trained. Therefore, to achieve better results, it is recommended to use extra weight. This weight will reduce the number of repetitions and add power load.
5 useful tips
When performing pull-ups on the horizontal bar, it is necessary to observe a number of rules and requirements:
- Need to warm up, before the start of any sports training, to warm up the muscles and to avoid further injuries in the form of sprains. The duration of the warm-up should be about 5-10 minutes. This is enough to disperse the blood through the vessels and prevent injuries. To warm up, you can make a small run, while doing a wave of his hands, rotational movements of the hands, elbows and shoulder joints.
- Holding the crossbar, the grip should be comfortable and strong. For better fixation and avoid slipping hands on the horizontal bar, it is recommended to use special gloves. You can also use ordinary construction gloves, which can be purchased at any hardware store.
- Be sure to use gloves.If you decide to seriously engage in the bar, then the corns can not be avoided. Therefore, gloves will only benefit and prevent from the painful sensations resulting from corns.
- Keep a moderate paceEach workout should be held at a moderate pace. You can not overdo it. If during the exercises you feel weak and unwell, then the lessons on the horizontal bar should be stopped immediately.
- Individual approach. Each organism is individual in its own way. Therefore, for someone classes on the bar may seem easy, strength and energy will be enough with prosperity, but to someone the other way around. But if you are new to this business, then you should approach the matter with caution. No need to tear the muscles, as this will not lead to anything good.
If you want to always keep your body in shape and be full of strength and energy, pulling up on the horizontal bar is a universal exercise. Also do not forget to eat right and live a healthy lifestyle. All this together will give a good result. Your body will always be in perfect shape, and you will gain confidence in the future.
The second category: the best attempt - 2-4 times
Those who belong to this group are recommended to do more approaches, with fewer repetitions. In this case, the first pull-ups should be as intense as possible. This will allow you to load a large number of muscle fibers and improve neuromuscular communication. The first two weeks: 8 sets of 50% for the best attempt and 60-90 seconds of rest between sets. The rest of the time: 8 approaches in the number of the best attempts, with the same interruption as earlier.
The fourth category: the best attempt - 8-12 times
If you belong to this category, then you are too strong for your own weight. Use in your workout burden. It should be up to 10% of your weight. Such a load will reduce the number of repetitions by 3-4.
What muscles are trained during pulling
Pulling in, a person hooks his hands on a fixed horizontal crossbar. Then the arms bend in the elbows, the body moves upwards. The exercise is considered completed when a person’s chin is above the crossbar, and the shoulders are at its level..
The main work falls on the muscles of the arms, but the muscles of the back and abdominals are also involved..
Ways of pulling up on a horizontal bar:
- Direct middle grip. When approaching the projectile, palms are turned away from themselves, fingers are squeezing the crossbar. Triceps and biceps, trapezoidal and latissimus dorsi, forearm and shoulder girdle work.
- Reverse grip. The hands when performing the exercises are palms facing the athlete. It takes less effort than a straight hold. Biceps muscles are pumped (biceps).
- Wide straight grip (there is no reverse option). This exercise is more difficult. The distance between the hands is greater than usual. It provides a good combination of the work of all muscle groups, especially the shoulder area. Difference from direct grip - the thumb occupies the top position. Hands and back are trained, the broadest muscles experience increased load. Complicated version - pulling the head.
- Narrow grip. Hands divorced minimally, palms in the castle. The main load is on the front gear muscles, shoulder (brachialis). Involved the lower part of the latissimus dorsi muscle. During the back of the grip work the biceps, shoulders retract, shoulder blades close.
- Along the horizontal bar. Two fist, covering the crossbar, abut. When tightening the head alternately rounds the bar on the right and left. Swollen shoulder, gear and latissimus muscles (downstream area).
How to properly learn to catch up
It is believed that if a person is able to pull himself up at least 6 times in one approach, then this is enough. But for an ambitious athlete, this is not a record. How to achieve impressive success in the short term? You have to train a lot. Not chaotically, but according to developed and long-tried schemes:
- Direct progression method. Its meaning lies in the daily increase in the number of pull-ups with each subsequent approach.