Teaching a child to love a book and to be able to enjoy reading is one of the important tasks of proper education. A person brought up on books has a broad outlook, can colorfully describe his impressions with words, entice the interlocutor with a stock of knowledge and will never be bored alone.
When is it worth to teach a child to read? Child psychologists recommend starting to inculcate in the child a love of books from an early preschool age and continue working in this direction until 7-8 years old, however, the most favorable age is from three years. It is important to select literature that is appropriate for the years - first, unpretentious tales, then - the stories of children's classics.
As you know, not all children love to read books. Why is this happening - many parents wonder
Why the child does not like to read?
In the process of working with a child, many moms and dads face difficulties. Sometimes the kid shows aversion and refuses to learn to read. The reasons for such problems may be several, so you should understand them more carefully:
- Some children are not used to reading with their parents. Perhaps they have not yet learned to enjoy reading.
- A preschooler who spends a lot of time at the computer is hard enough to enjoy the mental work that literature offers. He is used to receiving information without efforts of certain parts of the brain - a colorful virtual reality makes it possible to immediately plunge into the world created by the artist.
- The problem of fathers and children today is particularly relevant. In adults, there are sustainable ideas about life priorities, and children create their own picture of the world, receiving information from television and the Internet. What the older generation considers important, interesting, the younger seems irrelevant.
- In modern society, in the process of communication, it is customary to use words denoting action. Verbs supplanted adjectives that made speech more vivid, rich and emotional. There is an opinion that the literature on which today's parents grew up, seems to their children uninteresting and too dull.
The basics of reading books
The word “book” in modern language covers a very wide range of concepts. There are paper editions, there are copies presented in electronic form - documentary or audio. However, we will talk about the classic version of textual information - a book printed in a typography.
We also want to warn adults against persistent attempts to seat the child with a book, through psychological pressure, screaming or blackmail. How to get your child interested in reading? It is important to create the right attitude, to make the child himself want to spend time with the book. First, let it be only a couple of minutes, gradually your pupil will devote more leisure to reading. There are only two main ways to create the desired mood:
- it is desirable that the books were in the zone of access of the child,
- Adults should regularly use the home library, show children that reading is normal.
Psychological advice is unequivocal: it is important that the child has seen books since childhood and perceived them as part of his life. Let him first have toy books in which the pages are made of very thick cardboard, and the pictures are funny and colorful. A little later, he would pick up a tightly-bound collection of fairy tales, a children's encyclopedia or an ABC book.
However, you also need to instill in the child respect for the books, do not allow to spoil them, to tear and maim. A great way to foster a lean attitude towards the library will be first-aid sessions. You can attract a son or daughter to a simple, but interesting job: gluing torn pages, or ask the eraser to erase pencil marks from the fields.
Reading is an important part of life
Now let us dwell on the second statement - that adults should like to read themselves in order to teach their child this (see also: how to teach a child to write without mistakes and beautifully in the 3rd grade?). It is known that children who love to read, grow up in those families where reading is an important part of life. From this we can conclude - you need to show your offspring a personal example of how to spend your leisure time. If a father spends all his free time on a computer, his son will also play computer games. The father who opens the book every evening has a chance to raise a reading person.
Schooling a child to read is a good opportunity to review their habits and priorities. Often people find an excuse for not having books in their lives. Say, there are more important things that do not make it possible to allocate a couple of tens of minutes to literature. Children take their cue from the elders and, in their own list of important matters, also give reading to one of the lowest positions. The kid also has many daily tasks, duties and favorite activities - cartoons, games, computer, drawing, etc.
Children love when exactly dad reads a book to them.
It is very good if evening reading becomes a favorite tradition, a time that the child will anticipate during the day. The main thing is not to deviate from the formation of habits, to organize small sessions of family reading regularly every day. Very soon, parents may notice that their child is preparing for evening sessions and selects interesting literature in advance.
You can try to read aloud with a child that is interesting to mom or dad. Let the baby from an early age get used to the fact that reading can be a joint activity. Perhaps the plot will interest him and he will want to know what happened next. It is necessary to encourage his interest and give the opportunity to listen a little longer. Sometimes it is appropriate to use reading as a reward or a prize for good behavior, for helping parents around the house. The child will form a correct and natural attitude to this activity.
Reading a book is a great way to hang out with the whole family.
Recommendations for parents
Next, we will give a few additional and effective recommendations to those moms and dads who seriously decided to teach their preschooler to read:
- It is very useful to talk with the child about what they read. It is worthwhile to invite him to speculate why the character chose a specific way to solve his problem, what drove him and how everything could have turned out otherwise. Thus, the baby will be involved in the plot, think about whether the hero did the right thing in a given situation. These conversations are easy to generate interest in reading in general.
- It is good if there are conversations at home not only about politics, but also about books (see also: interesting books for children up to one year old). It is advisable to show your emotions during the discussion - what was funny and what was sad. Adults should make it clear that talking about recently read books is possible and necessary. Such conversations will motivate younger family members to also share their thoughts on what they read.
- Good parents know that you need to try to always answer the questions of a small Pochemuchka. However, adults are not always able to immediately grasp complex or specific topics. In such cases, it makes sense to explain to the baby that the answer to his question can be found in the book. Be sure to help sort out and search with him the right literature.
- Before you start reading a new book, you can try to intrigue the child with a description of its plot. Let him want to know the sequel.
- Periodically you need to choose multipage tales and stories. You can read them in parts, promising the baby to continue next time. This is quite a strong way that can help ignite the interest of the children in reading.
- Some mothers and fathers insist that the child necessarily read the book from beginning to end, even if he is not interested in the plot. Thus, they seek to cultivate perseverance and perseverance in the child. However, in this case, these actions will only bring harm. It is better to postpone an uninteresting story and try to slip it later when the child gets older.
Atypical ways to stimulate a child
Sometimes the child, despite the best efforts of his elders, does not want to read. In the most difficult cases, it is worth taking a break and try to interest your preschooler again in a couple of months. You can also try to find additional motivation, acting gently, but aggressively:
- It is advisable to use the time for reading when the child is calm, healthy. You should not run after him with a book, if the kid is rushing around the apartment, and is set to play active games. Psychologists advise first a little distract the child, reassure him, and then try to interest the plot of the new book.
- It is very important that the book that a mother reads to her daughter or son is also of interest to her. The passion of the parents is passed on to the children, and the boring story will cause a yawn to the mother, which will be passed on to the baby.
The development of fantasy and artistry - the elements of motivation
To lure the child reading, you need to provoke him to fantasize himself. Let him invent a continuation of his beloved fairy tales or in a new way retell familiar plots:
- For a start, you can tell him something interesting that could happen to the character read a fairy tale or story. Then involve the child in the game, ask what he thinks will happen next.
- Children's poems - one more storehouse of useful skills. It is advisable to read the rhymed lines to children more often and ask them to repeat so that the verses are remembered. Simple quatrains will help the child to form, and develop the ability to retell information. What will allow him in the future to present more complex speech constructions in a beautiful and smooth manner. Such training is useful in teaching, because the school is required to answer at the blackboard, retelling the learned lesson.
- Many children's fairy tales are easy to voice in the form of a dialogue. You can try with the child to play familiar plots from the books read, distributing roles among themselves. Children really like these games, and they often exhibit unexpected artistry.
The book teaches, educates, and children are most susceptible to its science. Love books, take care of them. Invest in your children respect for the word. Then they will grow comprehensive people with a broad outlook and the ability to make the right decisions. Let the book become a child's friend, helper and even partner for games. Help him to know the vast world, which gives good literature.
Tips on how to instill in the child a love of reading
First, we must not forget that all young (not only representatives of wildlife, but also human) copy adults. From this we draw the logical conclusion that if the adult family members themselves read, then this is already half the battle.
Secondly, it is important to correctly give the child the very idea why it is necessary to read books at all. Any (well, or almost) person is more willing to do something when he clearly knows what benefit he will get from this ... or benefit. That is, if you can clearly and specifically explain to your son or daughter how their lives change after they make friends with the book, things will go much better.
Tell us that there are much more interesting books than films, and therefore he will never be bored. Share your experience, how a good book saved you from a bad mood. tell them that he will always know more than his non-reading friends. That his speech will be richer and his peers will respect him, and this is important not only among adolescents, but also in adulthood. In general, explain all the advantages as colorful as possible and with examples.
In no case can you forcefully force a child or teenager to read: “Until you read, you will not get up from the table.”
By the way, look at the photo for this article. I had the same problems with my grandson. Boys generally prefer active games. But one day he met a girl on the beach and began to read her out loud .... Let's face it - I decided to show off, show off my intellect. But now you can't tear him off his books by the ears, although he also plays computer games. But without fanaticism!
If parents remember themselves in childhood, they will notice that they especially wanted to read those books that seemed inaccessible. You should do the same with your child: for example, talk about any life situation and mention that it is well written in such and such a book, however, you can read it at a later age.
Some old school psychologists advise simply to keep in mind those books that may be interesting or close to the interests of the child. It may have been effective once, but not today, when there are so many virtual entertainment around. Today there is another, well working way.
A simple recipe for teaching a child to read.
Find an interesting children's book in two formats: paper and audio. Listen to the audio completely, or at least a third. Select a fragment of about 10-20 minutes (preferably at the beginning), and find the most interesting place in it. At this point it will be necessary to interrupt reproduction. Just remember, from what minute it is necessary to turn on the recording, and at what minute to cut it off.
Then find this place in the paper book. Give the child a book, let him look at the pictures, and turn on the audio. A cliff at the most interesting place will cause a natural curiosity in any person: “What's next ?!” Read a few minutes with your child, and then stand back, citing things.
It would be even better if, instead of audio books, you read the child out loud. The exception may be those cases when parents cannot read with expression and cannot interest the child with their monotonous bubnezhekka.
And absolutely a win-win option if the book with the continuation is its screen version (for example, Harry Potter). After seeing an interesting movie or cartoon, the child wants to know, and then what happened to the characters then? Here is the time to buy him a continuation book. And it will not be superfluous to remind you that if he loves to read books, he will always be the first to know about the future of the characters, since films are released much later, and many even very interesting books are never screened at all.
If you do this hocus-pocus several times, you can be sure that the books will become best friends for your son. Then you only have to control that he read literature, not too criminal nature.
By the way, in the Litres online store you can find many books at the same time in three formats: electronic, audio and paper.
What books can read children
Today, there is so much literature (if everything that can be written that way is called) too frank or too aggressive that not all books seem to parents to be a good option for children's reading. Therefore, no control is necessary. But too zealous is not necessary, because at this stage it is necessary to fix the habit of reading. If something seems suspicious to you, read together, and explain to the child "what is good," and later he himself will reach out for deeper works.
And there is another stupid question:
Does the child need to read?
No wonder they say that education ends where movies begin. Even an educational movie, although easier to digest, will never give the same effect as a book. Myself the process of folding into semantic sentences of letters written on paper, develops wider possibilities of the human brain. So, the comprehensive development of the reading child is much more successful.
1. Fill in the game element
Turn reading into a game and you do not have to spend a second to persuade the child to take up the book. Make a production - home theater - and let grandparents become grateful spectators, invite your child's friends to visit and arrange a competition, always with prizes, - who will read more or find the items in the picture (for this you can see the books) mazes, write stories, make crafts, draw characters, cut, paint, conduct experiments, show the theater of shadows and make three-dimensional pieces of paper. Ideas sea. Just manage to embody.
Author photo: Christina Kovtun, - source
2. Let the child read what they like.
If the child refuses to read books from the school list of references, do not “press”. Show other books to make him understand: there are not only boring stories about the autumn forest or epic stories about Russian warriors (there’s something they don’t like about it), but also science fiction, plays and, let's say, satire. Yes, even the myths of South Africa and the traditions of Vietnam - just to read fascinated. It is not necessary to “cram” knowledge into a child and even more so impose their preferences.
Author photo: Aliya Gimranova - source
Try to find a genre that will appeal to the child. А если уж дело совсем не идет, попробуйте «подсунуть» комиксы, пусть это и для многих как ножом по сердцу. Когда ребенок найдет что-то свое, он войдет во вкус и, вполне вероятно, со временем начнет читать все, что под руку попадется: будет глотать книги, а не булочки 🙂
3. Заведите дома большую библиотеку
Невозможно приучить ребенка к чтению, если дома элементарно нет книг или их очень мало. Всегда должна быть возможность подойти к книжному шкафу и взять что-нибудь.
Author photo: Polina Myalichkina - source.
I remember how in my childhood I chose books on the principle “because gladiolus” - read everything that came to my eyes: the big Soviet encyclopedia, Bulgakov, Po, fairy tales of the peoples of the world, Bitter, Belyaev, encyclopedias “I Know the World” - history, physics , space, plants, art, medicine and twenty more on various topics - Khmelevskaya, Darrell, Strugatsky, books about dinosaurs, children growing up, psychology, and even winged expressions in Latin (I memorized them - I can't even say for what purpose ). In the course went all. And I sincerely believe that this seriously affected my love of reading.
4. Do not force to read to the end
If you see that the book "does not go," the child continually sighs, is distracted, turns like in a frying pan, and in general does everything that he wants to not turn the next page - let him close this book. Reading from a stick to a good will not. Never force a child to sit at an uninteresting book, otherwise you will achieve exactly the opposite effect. Even adults are advised to do this: Igor Mann uses the “50-page test” - if over 50 pages of reading the book is “not catchy,” it simply needs to be put aside. Not to mention the kids.
From the interesting book does not come off! Author photo: Maria Eremina - source.
5. Show what is amazing in books
Back in school, we were taught to analyze works, to see the deep meaning, to guess what the author was thinking and what he wanted to say. Try to do this trick with the child, but without hitting the lengthy reflections, but showing what you read from an unexpected side. Find the unusual in the book and show it to the child. When you explain something to him, draw unobvious parallels - so that the young nehochuha really interested.
Author photo: Irina @kmigirazuma, - source
6. Focus on leading activities.
The domestic psychologist Leontyev, and then Elkonin and Davydov developed the idea of leading activity — this is the “main occupation” of the child, within which the personality develops. At each age, the leading activity is different: from 3 to 7 years old - the role-playing plot game, up to 11 years old - studying, later - intimate-personal communication (this is why for adolescents peers become more important than family). The love of reading can be instilled through the leading activity: for children, invent games with books, let the older children have encyclopedias on topics of interest to them, a teenager can “slip” a book about relationships.
7. Do not put conditions
Often you can hear from parents: "Until you read ten pages, you will not go out." This is probably the worst thing you can think of. Never put the conditions and do not deprive the child of pleasures, be it sweet, a walk with friends or a trip with the class on an excursion. Otherwise, the book for him will be the enemy. But not a friend.
And better give books from the most tender age. The child will love them. Author photo: Irin Knuremko, - source.
8. Choose beautiful books
Psychologists note that up to about 12 years of age, the child has visual-effective and visual-figurative thinking. That is why it is important to pay attention to the visual component of children's books: a bright cover, beautiful illustrations, quality paper. The book should attract like a magnet. To excite. Cause delight. Then the child will not have to be reminded of reading.
Good life-affirming book with magical illustrations. Even adults are delighted with it. We in MIFE adore Mamazavra! - A source.
9. Leave books prominently.
This is a level 80 trick, but why not try it. Let the books in the house lie everywhere: nail the shelf in the kitchen, leave the books on the dining table, if you have a living room or a large corridor - “settle” them and there, put them on the bedside table near the child’s bed. And don't forget the bathroom and the restroom 😉 Seriously! There, as in the plane: attention is not sprayed, distraction factors at least, so that the hand itself will reach for the book.
10. Read with your child.
This method will work on small children: they are gently attached to their parents and want to spend all the time together, so you should think about diversifying your leisure time with reading. Read the roles, just take turns - on the page, offer the child to voice the heroes with different voices: the chanterelle speaks in a high thin voice, the wolf boils, and the bun sings funny.
And be sure to read the kids before bedtime - source
And finally, the last. Be the best example for your child. A hero Inspire. Show that you are not indifferent to the books. Inspire into the magical world of books. If you love to read with all your heart, if your family prefers books to TV, and “sticking” in gadgets - joint leisure, the words “My child does not read” will most likely never be heard. And if the problem is still there, then you can solve it.
What to read to children?
Properly selected tale will help the child learn patterns of behavior, get rid of fears and phobias.
A child who is standing on the seashore hears from you a poem by Lermontov M.Yu. "Sail" will not remain indifferent to poetry. Poems - a special genre. And for children poems - the whole world!
On the effect of color on the psyche of children, read the article in the interior of the children's room. Also read about the reasons why a teenager does not want to learn.
How to teach a child to read?
- Read your baby out loud from early childhood. Calm quiet voice and rhythm of reading help the child to calm down, get rid of various stresses, collect his thoughts on warm parental knees. With an older child, you can read a book in turns or by roles. If a child is shy because he reads worse than you, read in chorus.
- To teach a child to read, a clear example is needed. If parents prefer to watch TV, then the child will never go with the book to another room, he will “stick” to the TV with them. If you want your child to love reading - read for yourself and read with him! Make it a tradition to arrange "gatherings" when everyone sits down with their favorite book.
- Want to teach a child to read - take him with you to the bookstore, let him choose the book he likes.
- Making the child read will not be necessary if you turn the process of reading into a fun game. As soon as the child learns to read, use his skill wherever possible. For example, walking down the street, ask the child to read the name of the store. Ask your child for help reading your recipe for the dish you are about to make. Say: “Dear, I want to cook a soup with a new recipe, I need your help. Come on, you will dictate what to do! ”.