Is it safe to take a gynecological smear during menstruation?
Giving gynecological smear accounted for every woman. This procedure allows you to identify various gynecological and venereal diseases, determine the vaginal microflora. This is a fairly simple, fast and inexpensive way to monitor the condition of the genitourinary system. Every woman is recommended to take a smear every year, even in the absence of unpleasant symptoms.
When is a gynecological smear prescribed?
Gynecological smear is an effective method for studying the state of the female reproductive system.
A gynecological smear is given at almost every examination by a gynecologist. Often the smear is given for prevention, since many diseases are asymptomatic in the initial stages.
Many women are interested in when it is better to take a smear, so that it is reliable, whether it is possible to take a smear during menstruation. Dates of a smear are prescribed by a doctor, they are individual and depend on the specific disease: in some cases, smears are given at any time, others require a specific day of the cycle. A woman can donate a smear at a paid clinic at any time she wishes to check her health.
A swab is prescribed by the doctor in the following cases:
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy, a smear on the flora is taken several times. It is necessary to check the state of the female reproductive system, to control pregnancy. Any bacterial, inflammatory disease can lead to disruption of fetal development and abortion.
- Unusual discharge. It is recommended to pass a gynecological smear if the discharge has become of an unusual color (yellow, green, brown), consistency (thick, cheesy) or acquired a strong odor.
- Itching, burning and pain in the perineum. The presence of itching and burning in the perineum may indicate the presence of an infectious, inflammatory disease. These signs require immediate examination.
- Violations of the menstrual cycle. In case of various violations of the menstrual cycle, a woman is recommended to undergo a full examination: donate blood, a smear, an ultrasound of the pelvic organs to identify the cause of the violations.
- Planning a pregnancy. At the planning stage, a smear is necessary, as it allows detecting disorders and inflammations in time, to treat even before the moment of conception, which increases the chances of a safe course of pregnancy.
- Long-term use of drugs. Some drugs can interfere with the vaginal microflora. These drugs include oral contraceptives, antibiotics. After completion of the course of treatment, it is recommended to pass a smear in order to detect and treat disturbances in the microflora in time.
- Change partner. If a woman has changed her partner, or she has not had more than 1 partner in the last year and she has not visited a gynecologist, it is advisable to take a smear for flora.
When is the best time to take a swab?
Only a doctor can prescribe the correct smear date.
As mentioned above, the timing of delivery smears are individual. If it is not possible to take a smear at the moment, the doctor will prescribe another time. Usually, a smear for prophylaxis is taken immediately when visiting a gynecologist without taking into account the cycle. If irregularities are revealed, the next smear can be prescribed taking into account the cycle and course of treatment.
There are several types of smears: vaginal, cervical, urethral. Usually they are taken at the same time:
- It is believed that the optimal period for delivery of a gynecological smear is 7-10 days after the start of menstruation, that is, 2-3 days after the end of bleeding.
- During menstruation, the smear does not give up, since the bleeding may smear the picture. In some cases, this is possible, for example, if a woman needs to have smears constantly to check for bacterial growth and disease progression. During menstruation, a smear is given if a woman has urgent complaints, pains and discomfort that require immediate examination.
- Sometimes a woman does not stop bleeding for a long time. In this case, a smear is also taken at any time, since it is necessary to determine the cause of uterine bleeding.
- If the first smear revealed violations, a course of treatment is prescribed. After the end of treatment, a woman is advised to wait for her period and take a smear on the 7-10 day of the cycle.
- During pregnancy, a smear is given at any time when it is needed.
- The term of delivery smear affects the reception of various drugs. It is not recommended to take a smear from the vagina and urethra while taking antibacterial drugs.
Useful video - Smear of the cervical canal:
Despite the possibility of taking a smear during critical days, one should not forget that such an analysis will have its own difficulties. For example, before smear it is recommended not to wash with soap, and during menstruation this is impossible, especially if the discharge is abundant. The use of hygienic wet wipes will also lead to a violation of the result.
While taking a smear because of the discharge, the doctor practically does not see where exactly he takes the material. Blood invariably gets into the smear, so the result may be unreliable. However, when bacteria are detected, analysis of the PCR menstruation does not affect the result.
Preparation and smear procedure
The procedure for taking a gynecological smear in women
Often a smear is taken when visiting a gynecologist as a preventive check. In this case, there can be no preparation. If the smear is planned, the doctor will warn you about the preparation methods.
Preparation affects the accuracy of the result. The procedure itself is quite painless, sensations can be compared with unpleasant ones. If severe pain is felt, it is caused by the presence of inflammation, but not by the smear procedure itself.
- A day or two before taking a smear is recommended to abandon sexual intercourse.
- Before going to the doctor is not recommended to wash with soap and water. This can be done in the evening. Aggressive cleansers can disrupt the vaginal flora. In addition, it is undesirable to use daily pads.
- On the day of the smear and the day before, it is not recommended to insert vaginal suppositories, use ointments and intimate lubricants.
- If a smear is given for PCR, that is, for the determination of infections, it is recommended to provoke them. The day before the test, you need to eat smoked, salty, spicy foods, which will help to identify hidden infections.
- It is undesirable to shave the bikini area on the day of the visit to the doctor. Immediately after shaving, small swelling, redness, inflammation, scratches are formed, which can affect the result. It is best to do the epilation a day or two before visiting the gynecological office.
A swab from the vagina is taken quickly and painlessly. The woman sits on the chair, and the doctor takes a little mucus from the vagina with the help of a gynecological mirror and a disposable spatula. A woman may not feel anything.
A smear from the cervical canal is accompanied by more unpleasant sensations.
The cervical canal is located close to the uterus, so taking a smear from this part is somewhat more difficult. Usually this smear is necessary to determine the pathology of the cervix, the presence of cancer cells. A smear is also taken with the help of gynecological mirrors and a spatula.
Smear from the urethra is taken with a thin hook spatula. This procedure is unpleasant, but not painful. Some time after a smear can be felt burning. It is not recommended to urinate one hour before the urethral smear.
The result of a stroke: what a stroke can “tell”
A gynecological smear helps detect various inflammations, infections and diseases.
Smear has 4 degrees of purity. A smear of the first degree of purity is considered ideal. All indicators are normal. A smear of the fourth degree of purity suggests that the disease is already running, there is an inflammatory process and it is urgent to begin treatment.
A gynecological smear includes many indicators, but their rate varies depending on the presence of pregnancy or menopause in a woman:
- Leukocytes. These cells indicate the presence of inflammation. They may be present both in the vagina and in the cervical canal, the urethra, but in small quantities.
- Epithelium. Epithelial cells are present in any smear, but in moderation. If the number of epithelium is large, this indicates either an inflammatory process or hormonal disorders.
- Gram positive sticks. They should be present only in the vagina. The more, the better. They are responsible for the immunity of the vagina. But a reduced amount of wand indicates inflammation or dysbiosis of the vagina.
- Gram-negative sticks. These sticks are absent in a healthy body. Their presence indicates inflammation or imbalance of the microflora.
- Yeast Mushrooms Mushrooms should be absent in the smear. Their presence speaks of candidiasis, or thrush.
- Gonococci These are pathogens of gonorrhea, whose presence in the body is very undesirable. Gonorrhea causes unusual discharge, pain in the perineum and urethra, discomfort during intercourse, and can also lead to infertility and joint diseases.
- Trichomonas. Trichomoniasis is a venereal disease. The presence of any amount of trichomonads in a smear indicates trichomoniasis. This disease does not often lead to complications, but in its advanced form it can cause inflammation of the fallopian tubes.
- Chlamydia. Chlamydia in a smear should also be absent. Chlamydia is one of the most common causes of female infertility, and can also lead to miscarriages during pregnancy.
A smear on the flora is often the first step of the survey. If violations are found in the smear, then a further examination is scheduled. In some cases, a gynecological smear is enough to diagnose and prescribe treatment.
Contraindications for gynecological examination
In the period of menstrual bleeding, it is rather difficult to assess the state of the vaginal microflora. This is one of the main reasons, which is a contraindication to taking scrapings from the mucous membranes.
Other factors that impede the normal intake of biological material from women during their periods include:
- Wrong preparation. Before a gynecological examination is not recommended to wash, especially with the use of any detergent. This moment is quite difficult to observe when they go monthly. Anesthetic preparations that are often used by women during critical days can distort the result of a laboratory examination due to improper preparation.
- The complexity of the collection of biological material. Selections will override the normal view. That is, the doctor will be difficult to make scraping in the right place. For this reason, the analysis is not recommended to take a few days before the onset of menstruation. During this time period, the secretory function is activated. But sometimes it is this circumstance that can serve as the purpose of a smear test. During intensive secretion, you can get more detailed information about the microflora.
- Invalid decryption. In the smear taken there will be an admixture of blood. It may cause distortion of laboratory results.
The procedure in the period of monthly
It is possible that a woman will need to pass a gynecological smear during critical days. As a rule, such a need arises if the laboratory result is necessary immediately. The reason for this may be health problems that coincided with critical days or the presence of a rapidly developing inflammatory process in the body. If there is a serious threat to women's health, then, in addition to taking biological material for laboratory testing, the doctor may also prescribe an ultrasound scan.
In some diseases, a gynecological smear is required to be taken daily, regardless of the day of the cycle. Such diagnostic measures make it possible to trace the dynamics of the development of pathology. The fact is that when there are secretions, the female immune system weakens. Additionally, the blood itself, emanating from the body during menstruation, is a favorable medium for the reproduction of pathogenic microflora.
If there is no need for an urgent gynecological examination, that is, the cause of the illness is not related to the reproductive organs, the woman is advised to postpone a visit to the doctor.
In addition to critical days, the test result may be distorted as a result of the use of certain drugs. The gynecologist can be visited when the monthly period ends and it will be about 3 days after taking the medicine. About previously used drugs must be reported to the doctor. You may need to postpone the inspection for a later period. Lack of proper preparation, and not just an inappropriate day of the menstrual cycle, can distort laboratory results.
Why is taking cells from intimate zones so important?
When you come to see a female doctor, you know that the examination will end with a stroke. Scraping, taken from the mucous membranes of the patient, allows the gynecologist to obtain accurate information about the state of the microflora in its "innermost corners." The smear procedure is simple. The doctor inserts a miniature mirror into the patient's vagina. Not all ladies and young ladies know whether a gynecologist can take a smear during menstruation. Using a special spatula, the gynecologist collects cells from the cervix and vagina. In some cases, there is a need to take scraping from the urethra. This material is placed on a special laboratory glass. Cell research will be carried out by specialists in the laboratory.
Some patients feel a little discomfort during the procedure. Most often, the pain in sensitive areas indicate an inflammatory process.
A smear is necessary if the following events occurred in a woman’s life:
- the emergence of a new sexual partner
- long-term antibiotic treatment
- delay of menstruation,
- discomfort and burning sensation in the perineum.
Any deviations - a reason for diagnosis
A woman may suspect that her urino-genital system is out of order if she has a discharge of an unusual color. Also, itch and soreness “there” can alert the patient. If possible, schedule a visit to the doctor the day after your menstrual discharge ends. This time is good for research. Immune forces of the body have almost no effect on the composition of the microflora of your vagina.
A gynecological smear will help find out which diseases prevent you from living in peace. If in the vaginal environment, the doctor reveals an increased acidity, most likely, you are plagued by thrush. The presence of chlamydia in the smear "tells" the gynecologist that you develop chlamydia. The sooner you get cured of this infectious disease, the less problems you will have in the future.
Girls often ask if they can take strokes during their periods. Experts advise to postpone the collection of biological material, if ailments "like a woman" are absent. Routine inspection is best carried out two to three days after the end of the menstrual flow.
Menstruation "confuses cards" ...
Experts explain to young young ladies in detail the nuances of preparation for the examination. You should stop taking strong medicines five days before your date with the gynecologist. Two days before the medical examination, you need to refrain from intimate contact.
Doctors advise girls to wash six to seven hours before visiting the gynecological clinic. Ideally, all hygiene procedures should be performed in the evening, on the eve of the collection of biological material. It is desirable to wash without the use of a gel, using only water.
During the period of menstrual discharge, a visit to the gynecological clinic is undesirable.
Recall what prevents menstrual blood:
- It is more difficult for the patient to follow the rules of preparation. It will be difficult for a woman whose critical days have begun not to wash for a long time
- the gynecologist does not see well where the smear comes from,
- the presence of blood may distort the results of research.
In what cases the monthly is not an obstacle for inspection?
If you planned to pass a smear during a routine examination, critical days will not please you. But you will hardly become upset. Girls who find themselves in a delicate situation, postponed a visit to a female doctor for another day. But when a lady is worried about sharp pains in her vagina, it’s unreasonable to wait for the “good moment”.
Recall what ailments are the reason for urgent smear from a woman:
- the appearance of fetid secretions
- prolonged menstruation,
- increased body temperature
- highlighting of an alarming color. Yellow or green mucus indicates the development of the pathological process in the urogenital area,
- strong burning sensation, cutting in delicate areas.
As you already understood, in some cases, menstruation is not an obstacle to the collection of cells from intimate places. If you are going to see a female doctor, take a diaper with you. Её нужно будет положить на гинекологическое кресло. Перед процедурой постарайтесь не мочиться полтора часа.If this condition is met, the doctor will be able to get more reliable information about your microflora.
How to pass a smear on PCR
PCR analysis is designed to identify hidden infections of the genitourinary system. The method is based on a polymer chain reaction. Pathogens are often the main cause of infertility. Infection testing can be done on critical days.
Medicine is a trick: the doctor advises the patient on the eve of the study to have dinner with salty dishes or smoked foods. You can eat some pickled vegetables, drink a glass of wine. Spicy and smoked dishes will act as a "bait" for bacteria. Yielding to provocations, microorganisms will demonstrate increased activity. So, the study of the vaginal microflora can easily determine the type of bacteria. After receiving information about the causative agent of infection, the gynecologist will select for you preparations for its elimination.
If you are going to take a smear during the menstruation period, you should prepare that the inspection procedure will take longer than it took before. If, as a result of the study, you have an infection, the doctor will recommend antibacterial drugs. To clarify the diagnosis, your doctor may prescribe an ultrasound of your uterus and ovaries.
If the “menstrual” smear does not seem informative to the doctor, the gynecologist will advise you to come for an examination after the end of the discharge.
Smear on flora during menstruation
Vaginal microflora in a healthy woman is saturated with lactic bacteria that form a moderately acidic environment. Under the influence of adverse factors, immunity decreases, the number of pathogens that cause various diseases increases. A disease or pathological process in the reproductive system can be determined by analyzing vaginal discharge. For example, the extremely acidic environment of the vagina indicates the presence of thrush, alkaline - inflammation of the cervix, mucous membrane. During the monthly microflora changes somewhat. And the presence of blood in a woman makes it difficult to obtain a reliable analysis. The doctor takes a gynecological smear from the mucosal walls. During menstruation it is impossible to do this without blood. The result will not be reliable. In any case, you will have to retake the analysis after the end of menstruation. A woman is examined if there are complaints in order to prevent gynecological diseases.
Analysis of sansnizhku during menstruation
To obtain reliable results regarding the microflora of the vagina of a woman, it is necessary to take an analysis when there are no monthly periods. Regardless of why it is needed. In some cases, the doctor makes an exception if the woman urgently needs the help of another specialist, but the gynecological examination was performed more than 6 months ago. It takes several days to pass a medical examination, and they can coincide with menstruation. The problem is solved, basically, in two ways:
- The doctor will take a smear for menstruation, but take into account the fact of the presence of blood during the decoding of the analysis.
- The doctor will not conduct an examination and take a smear during menstruation, she will take the word for the woman.
It is not a secret to anyone that they can make an entry in a sansnizhka without a gynecological smear at all, for a fee. So it happens to us. Therefore, the presence of menstruation is not a big problem. During menstruation and before taking a smear from a woman.
Analysis on the last day of the month
A gynecological examination on the last day of menstruation may be carried out, but the results of the analysis will be interpreted taking into account the presence of blood in the woman.
Why is it not recommended to take a smear for menstruation at this time? Vaginal microflora after the end of menstruation remains far from the normal state. A smear indicates an increased value of microorganisms that are considered pathogenic. In the attention taken complaints of women during a visit to the doctor.
During menstruation, a smear is taken from a woman if the menstruation causes anxiety. It does not go as usual. Abundant or scanty discharge that lasts more than 7 days.
How many days after the menstruation can you take an analysis?
The optimal period when a woman should have a gynecological smear is 5 days after the end of her period. In extreme cases, after 3 days. The microflora of the vagina a few days back to normal. To get a reliable picture, the doctor takes a smear without menstrual blood.
You must pass the analysis according to the general requirements:
- a woman to perform a washout procedure,
- a few days before the inspection should stop taking medicines
- 1 - 2 days before the test is not recommended to have sex.
Do not wait for the time favorable for the gynecological examination in case of serious health problems. When bleeding, the doctor can also take a smear, send for an ultrasound. During menstruation, a smear is taken if the situation requires it.
Seek advice from a doctor in a gynecological office is necessary every time when the menstrual cycle causes anxiety. When to carry out to the woman survey, to hand over the analysis, the doctor will decide.
When and why a gynecological smear is prescribed
The gynecologist conducts a survey and examination in order to make a diagnosis based on complaints, anamnesis and visual health assessment. What is the reason for the need to pass the analysis, especially during a preventive visit?
The doctor takes the material for research with each new treatment of the woman. On the one hand, this is how screening is conducted (detection of latent diseases or ailments at the initial stage of the examined individuals who do not have complaints), and on the other hand, laboratory diagnostics allows for a more precise diagnosis and confirmation of final recovery after treatment.
A smear “on the flora” is assigned when the color changes, the consistency, the smell of discharge, especially if these qualitative changes in the whites are accompanied by itching, the laboratory technician examines the microflora sometimes even during menstruation.
When is the best time to take a smear?
The most favorable time to conduct an examination is the 7-10 day of the cycle, when the menstruation is completely over. During this period, the woman's body provides the most reliable information about both inflammation and disbalance of microflora. Therefore, it is worth planning a visit considering the day of the menstrual cycle.
The ban on the collection of material during menstruation is not a firm rule. If there are complaints about a sharp deterioration in well-being, it is worthwhile to conduct a study without delay, then the gynecologist indicates that menstrual flow may be present in the material. The same attitude to taking a smear during mass clinical examination. A woman can consult a doctor on another day or agree to take a material based on her critical period.
You can take a smear and a few days before menstruation. Then information about the microflora will be sufficiently reliable, but the study of the hormonal sphere is not carried out.
Preparation for the procedure
It should be noted that gynecological smear includes the study of material from the vagina, cervical canal, in some cases - the urethra.
If a woman planned to visit a gynecologist, she should adhere to some rules of preparation, so that the result was as informative as possible.
- Before a stroke, it is recommended to wash out the night before, in order not to “smear” the result under the influence of intimate hygiene products.
- It is better to refrain from depilation, hold it a couple of days before the procedure.
- It is advisable to abandon the daily installation.
- Refrain from vaginal sex for a day, or better, two before the examination.
- If the material is collected from the urethra, do not urinate an hour before the inspection.
- Stop taking medications for 7, and preferably 10 days before taking the material. If it is impossible to stop taking certain medications, tell your gynecologist that at the time of the study you are undergoing treatment with certain medicines.
- On the recommendation of the gynecologist on the eve of the examination, it is possible to make a so-called food provocation of infections. This means that after drinking alcohol, smoked meat, pickles, the pathological microflora is activated and displayed as a sharply positive result in a smear. Gonorrhea is sometimes used to provoke gonorrhea, it is injected intramuscularly one day before the examination.
How is the procedure
Material for the study is selected completely painless. The woman at the reception is located in a gynecological chair. The doctor installs a special mirror of the appropriate size, allowing you to inspect the vagina and cervix. The gynecologist makes a collection of cells from intimate areas, namely: the vagina, the cervical canal with a spatula.
If during examination, erosion or another pathological focus is detected, then the material for laboratory diagnostics is taken from this area. If it is necessary to collect the studied cells for PCR, then a brush is used, not a spatula.
The procedure as a whole does not cause any sensations. Only in the presence of a certain pathology when a material is taken, minor bleeding and discomfort may appear. Some time after a smear from the urethra there is a slight burning sensation.
Smear during menstruation
Do they still take a swab during their periods? Yes, in some situations it is possible. For example, if an infectious process is suspected. It is quite difficult to take material from the uterus and vagina for laboratory diagnosis, because the mucous membranes are covered with bloody secretions, visualization is severely impaired, so the examination will not be thorough enough. Skipping the morning wash is also quite difficult. And the result will be somewhat distorted due to the presence of menstrual flow in smears.
If, for objective reasons, the delivery of a smear coincided with the period of menstruation, it is worth adhering to the following rules, in addition to the generally accepted ones:
- Evening and morning washing of the external genital organs is carried out without special means for intimate hygiene, boiled water.
- Do not use swabs at night and immediately before the smear.
- Be sure to use the diaper on the chair.
- The doctor will indicate the samples obtained that they were taken from a menstruating woman.
Opinion of doctors
Gynecologists claim that there is no such period when it is categorically impossible to take smears during the examination. It should be noted that in some situations, when the result directly depends on the hormonal background of the woman, it is important to adhere to the recommended dates. If the material is examined for microflora and / or the presence of atypical cells, then it is permissible to pass it during menstruation.
Gynecological smear helps to determine the following indicators:
- The level of white blood cells (normal level - single cells in the field of view).
- The number of epithelial cells (single in the field of view).
- Microorganisms (cocci / sticks), as a rule, gram-positive sticks predominate in a healthy woman.
- Yeast mushrooms (normally not determined).
- Gonococci, trichomonads, chlamydia - pathological microflora, is not normally determined. Her presence indicates the presence of an infection or a combination of infections.
According to the above indicators, is determined by the degree of purity of the vagina, from first to fourth. The first - the perfect result, is found in young girls who have not started sex life. Grade 2–3 are standard variants, and the fourth indicates the presence of an infectious-inflammatory process.
When is it better to take a gynecological smear
If there is no great need, then the best time for the study will be 7-10 days of the menstrual cycle. The result will be the most accurate in case of inflammatory pathologies as well as in violation of the vaginal microflora.
Is it possible to do scraping during menstruation
It is undesirable to take an analysis during menstruation, this is due to several reasons:
- To study on critical days to properly prepare is not possible. Hygiene of the genital organs is carried out more often; it is rather difficult to restrict ourselves to evening washing away. To relieve pain in the first days of menstruation, girls take painkillers, which can not be done before delivery.
- It is difficult to carry out the material intake, because of the bleeding, the gynecologist does not see the place from which to take a smear.
- The result will be unreliable: the blood released during menstruation, will fall into the smear under study. Therefore, it is necessary to remember that a smear on the flora was taken during menstruation - this will avoid the establishment of an incorrect diagnosis.
Sometimes there are situations in which smear is simply necessary to diagnose a disease or monitor the effectiveness of therapy. These include:
- the period of preparation for emergency surgery,
- inflammatory process that progresses rapidly.
Under the influence of hormones during menstruation a beneficial environment for the growth of pathogenic microorganisms is formed. A smear is given these days to determine the progression of the pathological process, to identify a certain type of microflora.
When can I take a smear after menstruation?
A few days later, when the discharge of blood from the vagina completely stopped, you can take a smear. This time is considered the most appropriate for the following reasons:
- the secret of the vagina is produced in small quantities
- the immune system is weakened after menstruation, so it will be much easier to identify microorganisms in a smear for flora.
It is necessary to pay attention to the general condition of the patient. In the case of a pathology that is not related to the female reproductive system, it is better to wait for the time to improve. The disease itself or therapy prescribed against it can change the smear indicators, thereby giving an incorrect result.
How to prepare for the procedure
To obtain a reliable result, not only the period of the menstrual cycle is important, but also the preparation of the woman for the procedure of taking the material. During the appointment, no one warns the patient about the rules of behavior before visiting the gynecologist, which in the future may distort the real picture of the disease.
To obtain an informative result, the following points should be taken into account:
- It is necessary to choose the right time to collect the material. A few days after menstruation, a smear is most effective: the immune mechanisms are not strong enough yet, an ideal medium for reproduction occurs for microbes. Not so much natural fluid is excreted at this time, it is not difficult to identify an increased number of infectious agents.
- Stop taking medications, and it does not matter if it is a vaginal suppository or nasal drops. Under their influence, the genital microflora may change, which smears the smear pattern. If the medicine can not be canceled, then it is necessary to notify the gynecologist.
- Do not douche for a week before taking. The fluid introduced into the vagina, washes away the natural microflora along with the microbes, this affects the result of the smear.
- 2-3 days before taking a smear to exclude sex. They can affect the nature of the microflora, also microtrauma can occur during sex, after which a red blood cell can be detected in a smear.
- You need to wash yourself before the procedure before bedtime, which allows the vaginal microflora to retain its composition. It is undesirable to use intimate hygiene products.
Most doctors say that a smear can be taken if necessary at any time during the examination. If there is a dependence of the result of the evaluation of the material from the hormonal background of the woman being examined, then it is better to have a smear taken at a certain time, set by the gynecologist. During menstruation, it is permissible to take material for the study of microflora, oncocytology (identification of atypical cells).
In each case, the question of whether a smear can be taken during menstruation is individually addressed. Taking material on the microflora is an easy-to-follow procedure, but its result is influenced by many factors. The gynecologist relies on the general condition of the woman and the existence of an urgent need for manipulation.