Medicinal pomegranate seeds during pregnancy
Pomegranate is one of the most useful and loved by many fruits. You can eat it during a snack, add to a salad, cook various desserts from it, and even juice. Juicy pomegranate seeds are not only tasty, but also rich in vitamins, minerals and other useful elements. Is it possible to eat fruit during pregnancy and what rules to follow?
The composition and benefits of pomegranate
Pomegranate seeds can be considered a natural vitamin-mineral complex. Fruit contains all substances that stabilize the body. Juicy pulp and seeds of fruits - a source of 15 essential amino acids, vitamins A, C, P and group B, astringents and tannins, as well as iodine, potassium and calcium, iron and silicon.
Interestingly, some substances (sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus) are more contained in natural pomegranate juice than in fresh fruit.
Pomegranate is a natural antiseptic, has a disinfectant effect and helps to fight infections.
Fresh pomegranate, juice or a decoction of the grains contribute to blood formation and has a positive effect on the state of the blood vessels: excess cholesterol is eliminated, hemoglobin increases, the risk of anemia and the amount of sugar in the blood decreases.
Pomegranate has a tonic effect on the immune system, helps to fight against cough, viruses and acute respiratory infections. It is believed that pomegranate can be eaten for the prevention of breast cancer.
This fruit has a low energy value - only 52 kcal per 100 grams, which makes it acceptable for diabetes and for diets.
Useful properties of pomegranate for pregnant women
During pregnancy, pomegranate helps supply both the mother and the child’s body with the necessary building materials and beneficial elements: vitamins, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, fiber, and various types of acids, as well as minerals.
Vitamins are involved in the formation of organs and systems of the future baby, including bone tissue, mucous membranes, eye retina, nervous and respiratory systems. Vitamin E reduces the risk of abortion, is used to form the placenta, prepares the baby’s lungs for the respiratory process.
During pregnancy, a large number of women experience iron deficiency, against the background of which iron deficiency anemia develops. Iron reserves are actively spent on the formation and development of the fetus, so they need to be regularly replenished. Pomegranate and contributes to the prevention of anemia, and compensates for the lack of an element.
The unusual sweet-and-sour taste of pomegranate helps to fight toxicosis and normalizes the digestive tract, as well as increases appetite. Only a few grains of this red fruit relieve nausea and alleviate the condition of the future mother. Pomegranate juice or pulp of grains helps to fight diarrhea.
Due to its diuretic properties, pomegranate is often used to reduce puffiness during pregnancy.
Pomegranate promotes rejuvenation and renewal of the skin, gives it a healthy shade, helps to concentrate attention and improves memory, strengthens joints.
If a woman is a big fan of sourish foods and pomegranate in particular, a handful of rich, wine-colored grains will raise your spirits, improve your emotional background and tone up your body without any harm to your figure.
How can I use pomegranate during pregnancy?
Pomegranate during pregnancy is permissible to use in any form: individual grains, as part of a dish that does not undergo heat treatment (for example, with curd and other fruits), in the form of juice and fruit drink. Freshly squeezed pomegranate juice is considered more useful, but the grains have fewer contraindications.
Know Pomegranate during pregnancy brings many benefits. By consuming ripe pomegranate, it is possible to increase the hemoglobin in the female body and, accordingly, prevent anemia.
The benefits of a pomegranate during pregnancy are indisputable. Pomegranate contains a huge amount of valuable for pregnancy elements:
- trace elements iron, selenium, copper,
- macronutrients of calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus,
- glucose as well as fructose,
- vitamins of groups A, C, E, B.
The benefits of pomegranate can be considered systematically:
- The immune system. Pomegranate has an immune-stimulating and protective effect. Feeding the whole system with vitamins and minerals. It is also an anti-inflammatory and disinfectant, for example, for the mouth, or mucous membranes,
- System of excretory channels. Pomegranate is an excellent diuretic, as well as relieves edema (more about edema during pregnancy >>>),
- Circulatory and cardiovascular system. Magnesium and potassium, included in the vitamin complex of pomegranate, contribute to the healing of the walls of muscles and blood vessels. Due to the presence of antioxidants, toxins are excreted from the body. When consuming pomegranate, a woman can forget about iron deficiency, as there is plenty of this trace mineral in pomegranate juice,
- Endocrinology system. The active elements of pomegranate increase the activity of hormones important for the gestation period. Also increases the production of oxytocin,
- Nervous system. Pomegranate helps to relieve stress, irritability, various nervous experiences. Helps the body to be vigorous and active,
- Digestion. Pomegranate increases appetite.
Important! You can appreciate the benefits of pomegranate seeds already in early pregnancy, since, having a pleasant sourness, they help to cope with toxemia. For other methods of dealing with this unpleasant symptom, see Nausea during pregnancy >>>.
Possible harm and contraindications
Pomegranate during pregnancy can bring not only benefit but also harm, if you do not take into account some of the points:
- If you have an increased acidity, pomegranate can cause heartburn. This and so is a frequent companion of pregnancy. Read in the article what to do if you often suffer from heartburn during pregnancy? >>>,
- you should not use it in the presence of gastritis, ulcers, pancreatitis (article on the topic: Pancreatitis during pregnancy >>>),
- under reduced pressure, give preference to juice or eat seedless pomegranate kernels, as the bones contribute to lowering the pressure even more,
- If you have high blood pressure, eat a pomegranate with a bone. This will help reduce it a little.
Pomegranate juice - what is useful?
Pomegranate juice during pregnancy has a large number of useful properties:
- It is an excellent diuretic and choleretic agent,
- Can be used in inflammatory processes, as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent,
- During painful attacks, it works as a pain reliever.
The range of actions of a grenade is quite wide. Therefore, it is often used in various diseases. During the pregnancy period, the expectant mother can also benefit, as pomegranate seeds:
- increase the level of hemoglobin in the blood, which is so important in the last stages of pregnancy,
- bring a lot of benefits to the blood system,
- increase blood clotting
- relieve symptoms of toxemia,
- affect the increase in appetite and prevent nausea,
- they relieve swelling by removing excess fluid
- regulate digestion,
- enrich the body during pregnancy with all the necessary elements
- contribute to the correct and accurate work of the heart, as well as the entire vascular system,
- strengthen the gums and help to overcome ARVI.
Important! Is it possible to pomegranate juice during pregnancy, if you have a high acidity? You should not drink juice if you have acute gastritis, pancreatitis, digestive diseases (ulcers), and severe constipation. But the use of pomegranate seeds in various dishes or in small quantities is possible (important article: Gastritis during pregnancy >>>).
Ways of use
Pomegranate seeds are considered to be just as useful during pregnancy as pomegranate juice, but unlike juice, they have fewer possible contraindications.
- During pregnancy, it is important not to overeat the pomegranate fruit, even if you are very drawn to them,
- On a day, it is enough to eat half or drink in the morning and in the evening ½ cup of diluted juice,
- If you have a choice: drink pomegranate juice during pregnancy or eat a fruit - eat the fruit. Juice tends to affect the health of teeth, gradually eroding enamel, so drink juice through a straw. After drinking, it is important to rinse your mouth.
Important! How much can a pomegranate during pregnancy, if there is a problem with iron deficiency? In this situation, eat a sweet fruit in the amount of ½ fruit per day or drink on an empty stomach one glass of freshly squeezed juice diluted with water (60% juice, 40% water).
Pomegranate: how to choose correctly?
You can not buy the first available pomegranate - spoiled fruit is more harmful than useful! Pomegranate during pregnancy must be chosen correctly. During pregnancy, preference should be given to fresh fruit, and the juice should be exclusively freshly squeezed. Ripe and sweet pomegranate can be selected according to the following criteria:
- It should be a solid, uniform color and no raw smell,
- The top is dry and dark in color,
- You can not take the fruit with dark spots, dents, cracks,
If it is impossible to prepare freshly squeezed juice by yourself, give preference to already made juices in glass containers. Look carefully at the expiration date. It should be consumed within three days.
Pomegranate kernels, as well as juice in an acceptable amount, are a source of benefit and a helper that can replenish your body with important substances throughout pregnancy. In the absence of obvious contraindications, pomegranate is recommended for everyone. In the presence of any non-acute diseases, it is also useful, but in minimal quantities.
Good to know! Fresh kernels of sweet pomegranate can be added to simple salads and other dishes (for example: tomatoes, onions, pomegranates, olive oil). Pomegranate also gives an incredible taste to meat dishes, such as beef stew or pork.
The composition and beneficial properties of pomegranate
Pomegranate juice contains various vitamins (C, A, vitamins of group B, E, PP), iodine, also minerals (calcium, sodium, iron, magnesium, heart-good potassium, copper, phosphorus, selenium), acids (lemon, apple, wine, and folacin - a form of folic acid, which is very useful and important for the health of any person), proteins, fats, carbohydrates, amino acids, fiber.
Pomegranate juice - this is quite a tasty fruit juice, it contains more antioxidants than red wine or green tea, so the use of pomegranate juice prevents premature aging.
Pomegranate is considered an excellent dietary product that retains all its usefulness. Due to the fact that it contains isoflavones and antioxidants, it able to have an anti-inflammatory effect, antipyretic, endowed with antiseptic properties.
Pomegranate has a significant effect on the digestive system. Compounds such as pectin, tannin and folacin, great to fight diarrhea, as well as inflammatory diseases of the stomach, stimulating its work.
Pomegranate juice improves appetite and digestion. Proper and regular use of the pomegranate or juice itself contributes to the stabilization of the composition of gastric juice, helps to improve blood formation in the body, strengthen immunity.
Pomegranate is useful and for skin. In cosmetology, juice from it is used to treat oily skin, to narrow pores. With the help of pomegranate, you can whiten your face, and during pregnancy get rid of age spots on the skin.
During pregnancy pomegranates and pomegranate juice are allowed to use at least every day. The main thing here is not to overdo it and pay attention to some warnings and recommendations.
Indications and contraindications
Very important future mom include in your diet pomegranate juice. This will improve overall well-being during pregnancy, raise your spirits and cheer up. All this guarantees to increase the performance of the body and make it more resilient.
In the period of childbearing, quite a few women face such a problem as a decrease in the concentration of hemoglobin in the blood (anemia).
In this case, a clear iron deficiency is recommended to fill, using pomegranate juice. Enough drink half a glass three times a day 30 minutes before a meal.
Pomegranate juice will help for pregnant women relieve toxemia, as this juice is able to improve the appetite, tidy digestion.
Also pomegranate juice is known as Excellent tool in the fight against scurvy, and even pomegranate copes with the removal of toxins from the body.
If stomach discomfort occurs You can make tea from dried pomegranate peel.
The rich composition of pomegranate juice will have beneficial effect not only on the organism of the future mother, but also on the developing fetus.
In general, many fruit juices are perfect for fasting days for those who are overweight, because they can perfectly provide the woman with all the necessary vitamins and useful elements, and pomegranate juice will be very useful as it does not contain sugar.
Also will strengthen the muscles of the vaginaduring labor will contribute to the production of oxytocin, the exceeded level of which is dangerous in the early stages.
Drinking pomegranate juice will be contraindicated, if you have the following diseases or tendencies:
- stomach ulcer or increased acidic environment,
- constipation during pregnancy
- individual intolerance to pomegranate juice or allergies.
Rules of purchase
So, whether the pomegranate is useful for pregnant women and whether we can understand the harm from it during pregnancy, it remains to find out the nuances of acquiring and preparing pomegranate juice.
Of course, it is best to buy fresh grenades and crush them with a great fresh. When buying, pay attention to the top, it should be dry and dark, and the fruit itself is firm, without spots and soft areas.
Pomegranate - the benefits and harm. The program "About the most important"
Useful properties for pregnant women
Regular consumption of grains and pomegranate juice during pregnancy has a positive effect on the body of a pregnant woman:
- helps to remove inflammatory processes, acts as an anti-bactericidal drug, serves as a prevention of colds,
- helps to increase the immunity of the pregnant woman and the future baby,
- improves the condition of the hormonal background, which ensures the presence of folic acid and vitamin E in the berries,
- during toxicosis, the sourish taste of the fetus helps to eliminate nausea and vomiting,
- reduces puffiness and lowers blood pressure, because it has diuretic properties,
- helps to increase the level of hemoglobin in the blood, helps in the fight against anemia, because it contains a sufficient amount of iron,
- restores the normal functions of the digestive system, increases the appetite.
The use of pomegranate accelerates metabolic processes, so that toxins and slags from the woman’s body are eliminated much faster.
Eating healthy fruits can improve mood, relieve irritability, increase vitality. Low calorie product (72 kcal per 100 g of berries) will help to avoid gaining extra pounds of weight.
How to use berries and pomegranate juice during pregnancy in the early and late periods
At different times of childbearing, eating fruits can have a different impact on the health of the mother and baby:
In the early stages of pregnancy, juice or pomegranate berries will be a good tool in the fight against nausea and vomiting. Will help to normalize the processes of digestion, improve appetite.
The use of the product during this period allows you to maintain the necessary level of hemoglobin in the blood. Properly balanced nutrition and putting pomegranate into the diet often help to avoid additional medication.
In late pregnancy, daily use of pomegranate will allow the body of a woman to prepare for childbirth. The substances included in it increase the tone of the uterus and allow you to increase the rate of blood clotting.
Contraindications and harm
Like any product, pomegranate can give a negative reaction to its use even in the body of the woman who used it in unlimited quantities before pregnancy.
Therefore, before introducing pomegranate berries into the diet at this time, a consultation should be held with the doctor who monitors the health of the mother and her unborn child.
To exclude the product from the food should be if:
- there was a suspicion of allergies,
- with certain diseases of the gastrointestinal tract or increased acidity of the stomach, pomegranate can provoke heartburn,
- women who suffer from frequent constipation, because tannins are part of the berry,
- those who have low blood pressure,
- if the tooth enamel is thin and highly sensitive.
In early pregnancy, the substances that make up the product can cause an increase in uterine tone. When the first signs of discomfort and deterioration of the general condition appear, the fruit should not be consumed.
How can I use?
In any case, the pomegranate should be introduced into the daily diet gradually and it should be limited to one fruit per day.Another factor in the safe use of pomegranate during pregnancy can be the correct ways to use it as food.
Pomegranate seeds can be added to the process of cooking vegetable, fruit and even meat salads. Salad is best seasoned with vegetable oils, you can add to taste greens and mild spices.
You can make a sauce of mashed fruit grains. Grains need to be heated to softness, wipe and boil the resulting liquid to the state of liquid sour cream. Add herbs and spices to taste. Season with this sauce can be salads, meat and fish dishes.
- Dried pomegranate seeds can be added to tea.
It is recommended to use a few dry berries for making 1 cup of tea.
Natural juice from pomegranate berries is recommended to be used in diluted form. It is recommended to dilute fresh juice with water in the proportion of 2 parts of juice and 1 part of water.
Pomegranate juice can be combined with other fruit or vegetable juices; take 50-100 ml per day (preferably divided into several portions). And in order not to damage the tooth enamel, it is better to drink it through a cocktail tube.
How to choose?
An important factor affecting the safety of the use of pomegranate, in the period of carrying a child is the correct choice of high-quality and well-ripened fruit.
Choose a good and tasty fruit is easy, just pay attention to a few simple rules:
- find out where the grenades are brought from, the farther the manufacturer is, the less chances to get a fresh fruit,
- pomegranate peel should be saturated color, slightly dry, with small dried areas,
- pomegranate corona petals should be dry and dark
- the fruit must be heavy and dense.
The use of pomegranate is known for more than one thousand years and helps a person to solve many health problems, is an excellent preventive tool. However, during pregnancy it is recommended to be especially attentive to the use of this product.
In any case, it is necessary to be guided by common sense, to include grenades in this difficult period for a woman correctly and in moderation in the diet.
Pomegranate juice during pregnancy
Every time when the season begins, I regularly buy my daughter (and for the whole family as a whole) grenades. So my parents did, so I do, and so do many more moms and dads in the world, because pomegranate is extremely useful for our health.
Vitamins (A, groups B, C, E, PP), minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, copper), acids (malic, citric, folic), pectins, tannins, folacin and other useful substances. This does not deserve attention to this ancient fruit. To his help resorted to the treatment and prevention of many diseases and ailments.
In folk medicine, the whole pomegranate is used entirely - both grains, and peel, and even bones. But the most delicious and most enjoyable is, of course, juice. Pomegranate juice is one of the most favorite among pregnant women. Sour, useful, and often completely indispensable.
What is useful
Pomegranate juice has many different properties: anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, analgesic, diuretic, choleretic. Accordingly, the range of its action is quite wide, and it can be useful in many diseases. But during pregnancy, pomegranate juice has specific advantages:
- saturates the body with beneficial substances
- improves cardiovascular function
- increases hemoglobin
- useful for the hematopoietic system,
- helps fight toxicosis (relieves nausea and increases appetite),
- removes excess fluid from the body (which is especially important for edema and hypertension),
- improves the functioning of the digestive system
- useful for colds and colds,
- helps to strengthen the gums
- helps to increase blood clotting (which can be useful before childbirth),
Despite the obvious benefits of pomegranate juice for pregnant women, expectant moms should be careful with a sour drink. Mainly due to the risk of constipation (which is already elevated) and allergic reactions (which is very likely during pregnancy). In addition, with increased acidity of the stomach, pancreatitis, ulcerous diseases of the digestive system, hemorrhoids and chronic constipation, pomegranate juice is contraindicated.
But even if the above does not affect you, you still should not lean on pomegranate juice during pregnancy. And do not drink it in pure form. Dilute sour drink can be boiled water or other fruit juices. Best in this role fit beetroot or carrot juice, especially during pregnancy.
Undoubtedly, there is no more useful juice than freshly squeezed (with the exception of beetroot - it needs to be allowed to stand for a while). So if you want to get the maximum benefit from the drink - crush the grenades themselves. At the same time, choose ripe hard beautiful fruits without soft brown spots on the peel - this is the first sign of rotting. The top of a good pomegranate should be dry and dark, without greens.
But, unfortunately, few pregnant women and their men are ready to engage in such production. A pomegranate juice during pregnancy, sometimes oh, how you want! Have to buy. And, of course, it is better to buy pomegranate fresh. Do not be lazy to find the "point" where the juice is pressed, and do not take the money for it.
If it is not possible to drink fresh juice, but you want pomegranate juice, then the most disastrous option is juice in a glass bottle. At the same time, it should have a shelf life of not more than 2 years in a closed form and not more than 3 days after opening. Preservatives in this case, alas, can not be avoided. Technologists say that E202 is quite harmless (it is a natural preservative). In general, natural pomegranate juice is not easy to find. They say there is a good one in Azerbaijan, only it is not carried to Russia. If you live in Europe - look for. It should cost at least $ 7 per liter.
But what can not be drunk is pomegranate juice in tetrapacks. It is better not to drink at all - away from sin ...
Especially forberemennost.net - Elena Kichak
Benefit and harm
Pomegranate is a useful product, especially for women in the position.
Restorative and immune support properties worth their weight in gold:
- First, the unique product perfectly fills the lack of iron in the body. For pregnant women suffering from iron deficiency anemia, this fact is very important. Pomegranate is used for hemoglobin.
- Secondly, the fruit stimulates digestion and normalizes the work of the digestive tract.
- Thirdly, pomegranate perfectly quenches thirst and has a diuretic effect. Most pregnant women face the problem of edema. Certain properties of the fruit can cope with this scourge.
- Fourth, the exotic sweet and sour fruit improves the functioning of the nervous system, normalizes blood pressure, speeds up metabolic processes, relieves depression.
About the benefits of a pomegranate can not argue. But this should take into account the peculiarities of this fruit. With the help of pomegranate, you can stop diarrhea, if you use it with bones. When a large amount of eaten fruit can be faced with the opposite result - there will be constipation.
Harmful pomegranate partitions. Substances contained in these parts of the fetus can cause uterine tone.
Those who know firsthand about such a problem as hemorrhoids should also refuse to take a pomegranate. Harmful fruit is capable of suffering from an ulcer or gastritis during the exacerbation period. Caution should also be given to those who suffer from allergies or idiosyncrasies.
Pomegranate during pregnancy
Pomegranate during pregnancy is recommended to include in the diet, not only in the form of a fetus, but also in the form of juice. If a woman in the situation does not suffer from heartburn, then the fruit is best consumed before meals. In this case, the assimilation of vitamins, micro-and macronutrients is carried out in full.
For stomach problems, it is recommended to eat pomegranate half an hour after eating. Sour fruit will not be so aggressive to the mucous membrane.
At different stages of pregnancy there are certain subtleties of the use of pomegranate.
In the early stages (in 1 trimester)
Pomegranate in early pregnancy can help pregnant women:
- Overcome the symptoms of toxicosis and thus protect against the threat of miscarriage.
- Lack of appetite due to constant nausea and vomiting is common for pregnant women. But it is important for the future mother to eat fully, because the child in spite of everything gets all the required trace elements and vitamins, taking them from the mother. The woman is weakening. Pomegranate improves appetite and stimulates the digestive process.
- Thanks to the pectin contained in the grains, toxins are removed from the body of a pregnant woman. Not so often have to deal with the gag reflex.
- Pomegranate eliminates headaches. Of course, this does not mean that he ate a pomegranate - and that’s all, there was no problem. The fruit must be eaten daily as a preventive measure and unpleasant pain can be avoided.
During the 2 trimester period, pregnant women tend to begin to suffer from constipation. The growing fetus puts pressure on the uterus and intestines, leading to problems with the stool. Pomegranate contains fiber, which cleanses the digestive organs.
In the second trimester of a pregnant woman, it is prohibited to use pomegranate peels due to the toxins contained in them.
In what form can you eat?
Pregnant women are allowed to use pomegranate as a preventive measure as follows:
- In the absence of contraindications, eat one small fruit or half a large one.
- There are no clear boundaries, how much can you drink pomegranate juice. It is much more important to dilute it before use. Reception on 1 glass a day is allowed.
How to choose a ripe fruit?
To maximize the benefits of a pomegranate, as noted by numerous reviews, you need to be able to choose the right fruits:
- The peel should be dry and tightly wrapped around the seeds. This is an indicator of product maturity. It does not make sense to buy a fruit with a smooth shiny skin and green inflorescence.
- Berry must be whole, without damage.
- The ripeness of pomegranate shows the gravity and density of the fetus.
- Soft fruits do not need to buy, most likely they were damaged during transportation or storage.
Nutrition of a pregnant woman is an important aspect. Pomegranate during pregnancy is necessary in the diet due to the beneficial properties of the product. But it is important not to overdo it, otherwise the benefit can turn into harm.