The appearance of acetone in the urine of a child is a symptom that worries the parents of many babies. Most often, this phenomenon occurs in children under 12 years of age. It can be caused by poisoning, physical exertion, improper nutrition, high body temperature. The main method of dealing with the pathology is diet. What can and can not eat a child with acetone?
Peculiarities of nutrition with acetonemia
Acetonemic syndrome is manifested by intense vomiting, diarrhea, deterioration of general condition and a complete lack of appetite. In this case, the child loses a lot of fluid, which can lead to dehydration. Compliance with strict rules of nutrition contributes to the restoration of water balance and vitality.
Diet at the beginning of the disease
During exacerbation of acetonemia with severe vomiting do not need to try to feed the child. For the rapid elimination of ketone bodies from the body, should provide the patient plenty of drink.
The basic principles of nutrition at the onset of the disease:
- In case of severe vomiting, the patient should be given every 5-15 minutes to drink mineral non-carbonated water, sweet compote from dried fruits or raisin broth. Fructose and 40% glucose helps to prevent vomiting (drink a vial 1-2 times).
- On the first day after nausea, you can give your child some crackers. Do not stop drinking plenty of liquids, the patient should drink about 2 liters of water.
- 3rd day of illness: rice water and baked apples. If the baby has an appetite, it is allowed snacking drying.
- On the 4th day of the disease, vegetable soups and gummy biscuits are introduced into the diet.
Nutrition after restoring acetone
While improving the well-being of the child in his diet, you can include other dishes. However, the recovery period of the patient's body affected by acetonemic syndrome is from 1 to 3 months. The basic principles of nutrition after recovery of acetone in the urine:
- fluid intake (1-1.5 liters per day),
- you need to eat in small portions 5-6 times a day,
- the interval between meals should be no more than 3 hours,
- you can not force a child to eat, if he refuses to eat, you can offer him cookies with compote or dried fruits,
- The consistency of the food should be puree or liquid,
- do not eat fried foods, the food should be steamed or steamed or in the oven,
- not allowed to eat food that can irritate the gastric mucosa,
- food should be warm
- dairy products are introduced into the menu gradually by the end of the diet,
- meat is consumed in ground form (souffle),
- emphasis should be placed on high fiber foods,
- The last meal should be easy, no later than 7 pm.
What can a child eat with acetonemia?
Sometimes the improvement of the child’s condition is again replaced by an increase in acetone in the urine. Parents no longer strictly follow the nutrition of the patient and allow him to eat those foods to which he was accustomed. Some believe that a diet does not provide the child with essential trace elements. However, it is not. Acetone diet provides a wide range of healthy and nutritious foods. With acetonemia, the child can eat:
- buckwheat, wheat, rice, oatmeal, corn and pearl barley cereals,
- vegetable soups,
- lean meat (rabbit, chicken, veal, turkey),
- boiled eggs,
- sweet fruits and berries,
- vegetables are raw and cooked in various ways
- low-fat dairy products without sugar,
- sea fish, green and brown algae,
- dried fruits,
- bread crumbs and bread,
- jelly, fruit drinks, fruit drinks, teas,
- sweet little (homemade jam, honey, marshmallow, marmalade, jelly).
List of banned products
A child who has undergone an acetonemic crisis, weakens the immune system and disrupts the work of some body functions. Many dishes that previously did not cause him negative reactions lead to the development of allergies, liver colic, gastrointestinal upset and exacerbation of acetonemic syndrome. In this regard, some products are prohibited to use:
- fatty fish and meat
- meat and fish based first courses
- crayfish, shrimp, river fish,
- pickles, pickles, preservation, smoked products,
- sorrel soup,
- tomatoes, eggplants, legumes, radish, cauliflower,
- baking pies,
- confectionery cream, chocolate,
- fatty dairy products
- spices, mayonnaise, ketchup,
- products with dyes and food additives,
- coffee, cocoa, strong tea, packaged juices, drinks with gas,
- citrus fruit
- fast food dishes,
- sour berries and fruits.
Sample menu diet with acetone in the table
Children's menu during acetonemia should be balanced. Do not feed the child only vegetable soup or porridge. A diet with acetone in children should include a variety of dishes containing nutrients. Parents are not easy to develop a menu for the patient independently. The table shows the approximate diet of the child per day.
With an increased level of acetone, an increase in the amount of harmful ketone bodies in the urine and blood is diagnosed. This condition is usually observed in young children due to overwork, starvation or poisoning. Diet with acetonemic syndrome is designed to reduce the toxic effects of ketone bodies on the digestive system of the child and alleviate his condition.
Food Features with Acetone
The diet with acetone in children is aimed at eliminating the symptoms of acetoneisal crisis and improving the condition. Only a specialist can determine the causes of acetonemia and prescribe treatment, so calling a doctor at the house is required. Hospitalization in the hospital is usually not made. A balanced diet with the exception of fatty and fried foods helps to reduce the content of acetone and normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
Features diet food:
- an approximate diet should be only a doctor after examining a child,
- with vomiting and nausea, eating is completely stopped,
- at the first signs of acetone, the child should often drink warm water,
- water should be given every 5-7 minutes, 1-2 tablespoons,
- feeding should follow the principles of fractional feeding,
- feed the child at least 5-6 times a day in small portions,
- fatty, salty and spicy dishes should be completely excluded from the menu,
- do not force the baby to feed
- all diet and beverage permitted foods should be introduced into the diet gradually,
- allowed to give to drink warm boiling water and mineral water.
You can drink dried fruit compotes, 5% glucose solution and mineral water. Assigning a diet with acetone in children, Dr. Komarovsky recommends consuming 40% glucose in ampoules or 5% in vials. It is advisable to boil the cereals in water without adding milk and butter. Food for diet with acetone can be boiled, stewed and steamed according to the allowed recipes.
Forcing a child to eat is not allowed, but he should not starve
General rules of nutrition
After examining the child and determining the severity of symptoms, the doctor prescribes a diet with general rules of nutrition for the first 5 days. It is necessary to observe it strictly, following all advices and recommendations. The main rule of the diet with acetone in children is to provide the patient with the necessary amount of fluid. When vomiting, the child should be given water even at night.
Meals for the first 5 days after acetonemic crisis:
- First day. Frequent drinking with the complete exclusion of any food until the cessation of vomiting and nausea. Water should be given every 5-10 minutes, 1-2 spoon, to avoid recurrence of vomiting. Drinks should be warm. According to the recommendation of the doctor, you can add some sugar or honey to the compote and tea to normalize the level of glucose.
- Second day. In the absence of nausea, you can give the child crackers and savory biscuits. Allowed baked apple and liquid rice water. To prepare it, 50 grams of rice is boiled in 1.5 liters of water without adding salt until cooked. Then the broth is filtered and given in small portions throughout the day.
- The third day. The diet with acetone allows the inclusion of cereal porridge in water and fermented milk drinks. You can use rice, oatmeal and buckwheat for cooking liquid porridges. Milk is desirable to give boiled. Kefir should be fresh and not too sour.
- Fourth day. To porridges and dairy products add liquid vegetable soups. Allowed to give children dry biscuits, crackers, compotes and bread. Vegetables for soup is better not to fry. It is forbidden to add fats, sauerkraut and legumes to the broth. Allowed to drink water without gas, compotes and milk drinks.
- Fifth day. When diagnosing positive dynamics, it is allowed to diversify the menu with lean fish, boiled chicken and meat. All dishes should be fresh, steamed or broth.
If the child does not want to eat, it is not necessary to force him. In this case, it is necessary to give rice water and savory stewed fruit. If you have appetite, you can dilute the ration of semolina, mashed potatoes and baked apple. Acetone diet should be gentle and nutritious. It is forbidden to prescribe it without consulting a doctor because of the possibility of complications and the deterioration of the patient’s condition.
With acetone, you should follow the diet recommended by your doctor with plenty of water.
Permitted products and dishes
The diet with acetone in children suggests the inclusion in the diet only approved by the doctor products. In the early days, the list is limited to a few crackers, porridges on the water, and sour-milk drinks. When improving the state, you can enter lean fish and vegetables in the child’s menu. The diet with acetone is based on frequent drinking of water and unsweetened compotes, and using low-fat meals.
It is allowed to include in the menu:
- porridges on the water: corn, buckwheat, rice and oatmeal,
- sour milk drinks: kefir, yogurt and fresh yogurt,
- low-fat 3% cottage cheese,
- soft cheese with low salt and fat content
- vegetable soups with cabbage
- lean chicken meat,
- boiled veal and fish
- fresh vegetables, raw, baked, boiled and stewed,
- low-fat varieties of fish, such as flounder, pollock and blue whiting,
- berries and jellies based on them,
- dried fruit compotes,
- broth hips, fruit drinks and homemade lemonade,
- mineral water
- a handful of walnuts or hazelnuts,
- savory biscuits and crackers with bread,
- chicken or quail egg no more than 1 piece per day.
Diet with acetone does not prohibit the use of sweets such as marmalade, marshmallows and jam. You can give children sweet berries, fruits, black and green tea. Vegetables are allowed cabbage, cucumbers, zucchini and carrots with beets. You can add to salads, stews and casseroles of onions, greens and pumpkin with potatoes. Often, when prescribing a diet, doctors give parents instructions with a table of useful and harmful dishes. These recommendations should be carried out strictly for a long time.
The menu can include cereals, vegetable soups and sour milk beverages.
Prohibited foods and dishes
Diet with acetone in children suggests the prohibition of all fatty foods. This is justified by the fact that the liver of a sick child does not cope with a large number of lipids. To prevent the organism from poisoning with ketone bodies, it is necessary to completely eliminate fats and foods with a high content of purines. Doctors prohibit patients from fatty meats, sausages, canned goods and pastries. This restriction is imposed on a long term.
It is forbidden to use with acetonemia:
- fatty pork meat, lard and offal,
- all fried meat dishes and rich broths,
- sausages and meat products from semi-finished products,
- fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel and trout,
- egg yolks,
- any kind of caviar
- milk chocolate and sweets
- any pastries and pastries,
- sweet sugar cookies, cakes and pastries,
- sour cream and cream,
- ice cream,
- fatty grades of hard cheese
- all carbonated drinks with preservatives and dyes,
- fast food, canned and smoked meats,
- any sauces, dressings and ketchup mayonnaise,
- legumes, sauerkraut and sorrel,
- purchased juices and soft drinks,
- coffee, cocoa and strong tea,
- chips with crackers from the packages.
Products containing preservatives and harmful dyes should be excluded from the children's diet with acetone. Spicy spices, mustard and pepper are banned. Seafood, cauliflower and radishes should also not be included in the therapeutic menu.
Fast food, pastries and fatty foods should be excluded from the diet.
The restrictions imposed by the doctor must be strictly observed. Errors in nutrition can lead to a recurrence of acetonemic crisis and the deterioration of the child. The diet will have to follow a long time, sometimes several years.
A bit of terminology
Elevated acetone, or ketoacidosis, is a pathology that occurs in a child when the level of ketone bodies in the blood plasma increases.
The "culprits" of their occurrence are almost all the fats in the body and some types of proteins. It should be noted that ketone bodies are formed in the liver during food processing, the improper functioning of fat metabolism, as well as the absorption of carbohydrates.
If the child is healthy, then there is very little acetone in the body. If pathology occurs, its synthesis increases and is ahead of the rate of destruction of this substance in peripheral tissues.
Causes of elevated acetone
Everyone knows the fact that a child needs a huge amount of energy to play. As a rule, at its high cost, the basis of nutrition should be glucose, which enters the body in the form of carbohydrates. If this substance is not enough, then it is produced from fat. And at the expense of the last depletion of proteins occurs. As soon as the processing of fat is carried out, by-products are formed - ketone bodies.
So what is the cause of elevated acetone? There are several main factors:
- metabolism failure
- stress, overwork,
- long journey,
- malnutrition, where fat is abundant in the menu.
As already mentioned, the body begins to extract glucose from fat, which leads to the appearance of acetone bodies. At this stage, there is a poisoning effect on the body. This is explained by the fact that the nerve cells do not have time to deal with ketone bodies. The child begins to vomit, and from the stool, urine, vomit and body emanates the smell of acetone.
As a rule, pathology occurs in children up to 12 years. During this period, the body is not yet strong, and some vital organs are not functioning at full strength.
Acetone in children. Treatment, diet
If the child has vomiting, his condition has worsened, immediately consult a doctor. And only after the recommendations of the doctor proceed to treatment and adherence to a strict diet.
To reduce the amount of ketone bodies in the body, you should start with the correct fluid intake. After all, this is the main component, which provides for a diet with elevated acetone in children. So, in this situation it is best to give your baby a compote of dried fruit. They are able to increase the level of glucose in the body. The drink should be warm and sweet enough.
It will not be superfluous to give the child fructose. Dr. Evgeny Olegovich Komarovsky claims that her metabolism is faster than sucrose. With the breakdown of fructose, the glucose level rises evenly, without a sharp increase and decrease.
It should be noted that a sufficient amount of it is contained in the raisins. Pour a handful of boiling water over this handful of this product, leave under a closed lid for 15 minutes, filter through gauze and safely give the baby.
However, it is recommended to use glucose in ampoules. This method is especially useful when the child begins to complain of dizziness and abdominal pain after active games. To prevent vomiting, give your baby a concentrated 40 percent glucose.
Diet with acetone in the urine in children involves the use of alkaline drink. Suitable, for example, "Regidron", as well as mineral water without gas.
Attention should be paid to the fact that any liquid should be warm (preferably equal to the temperature of the child's body) in order to accelerate its absorption into the blood. You should not water your baby with plenty of water, it is better to do this often and in small portions.
Along with this is considered beneficial and the intake of vitamin PP. It is sold in solutions and tablets.
If there is an increased acetone in the child, the diet should be observed from the first day. So, at the very beginning of the disease do not feed the baby anything, you can only water it. The scheme is as follows: mineral water without gas in a tablespoon every 5 minutes. If the child wants, give him a compote of dried fruit, raisin decoction. Do not forget about glucose in ampoules. If the kid expressed a desire to eat, offer crackers from home-made bread.
On the second day, you can offer rice broth and baked apple. On the third - give the baby porridge on the water. The best options are buckwheat, rice, oatmeal. To the diet you can add low-fat kefir.
The next day, boil the child a vegetable soup. Complete the menu with biscuits, crackers.
Если диета при ацетоне у ребёнка дает положительные результаты и он уже чувствует себя лучше, можно добавить и другие блюда. Remember: do not overfeed the baby or offer him fatty foods. Total should be in moderation.
What to exclude?
A diet after acetone in children (and during the illness) implies the rejection of the following products:
- meat, fish, mushroom broths.
- smoked products
- products with food additives and dyes,
- mayonnaise, ketchup, sauces,
- fat cottage cheese, ryazhenka, yogurt,
- coffee drinks
- fresh bread, pastry,
- store juices, sparkling water, strong tea,
- spicy dishes,
- pickled foods
- spices, seasonings.
What should be included in the diet?
A diet with acetone in a child should be based on the use of the following products:
- meat of turkey, rabbit, chicken, veal,
- low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir,
- quail and chicken eggs,
- jelly, fruit drinks, fruit drinks,
- ripe non-acid berries,
- vegetable and milk soups,
- buckwheat, oatmeal, rice, wheat cereals,
- fresh, steam and baked vegetables,
- fruit (not citrus),
- galetnye cookies, crackers from bread, small loafs.
Dr. Komarovsky recommends during treatment not to rule out sweets. It should be remembered that cakes, cakes, chocolate and cocoa to give the child is not necessary. It is preferable to feed it with pastila, dried fruit, honey, jam, caramel and marmalade.
When should you worry?
Let's find out in which cases the treatment is urgently needed, as well as the diet with acetone in children.
The table reflects the indicators identified by the litmus strip.
0.5 to 1.5 mmol / l (+)
more than 5 mmol / l (+++)
Easy stage. The child should be more watered and not to give fat.
Middle stage The child needs a light diet. Exclude fatty, spicy. Giving glucose and alkaline drink.
Hard stage. Should consult a doctor. Requires a strict diet.
Lemon with honey will help fight with elevated acetone
As it has long been known, these two products can not only increase weakened immunity, strengthen the walls of blood vessels, resist toxins, but also help to fight acetone. Honey and lemon contain a huge amount of vitamins, microelements, and most importantly - glucose and fructose. These products are well and quickly absorbed by the body, which gives it the opportunity to quickly return to normal.
If the baby is not prone to allergic reactions, then prepare him a tasty drink. Take a liter of boiled warm water, 40 g of honey and juice squeezed from half a lemon. Mix well and let the child drink in small portions. The baby should drink the entire drink during the day. Prepare fresh in the morning.
Diet with acetone in children. Recipes
For this dish, take 1 carrot, 1 small onion, 3 potatoes, 3 tbsp. l rice, a couple of cauliflower blossoms. All vegetables are peeled and chopped. Wash rice thoroughly under running water. Throw the onions, carrots and rice into boiling water, then the potatoes, and after a few minutes the cauliflower. A little salt, mix. Boil until cooked.
Ragu with turkey
Take 1 onion, 1 carrot, a couple of broccoli florets, turkey fillet. Cut the last ingredient into pieces and throw in the cauldron, add a little water, cover, reduce the gas, add some salt and leave to stew for 20 minutes, remembering to stir. Onions, carrots nashinkuyte, broccoli divide into small florets. Throw the vegetables in the pot, mix. Cook until soft ingredients. If the child is small, the stew can be crushed in a blender.
Apples with honey and nuts
Take some sweet apples and cut out the middle. Chop the nuts as small as possible. Add them to the middle of the apples, enter some honey. Put in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Put a saucepan on the stove with a small amount of water (200 ml), add a few tablespoons of oatmeal. Wait for boiling, reduce the heat and leave to cook. Cut apples and pears into small slices. Add to porridge, mix. Add milk if desired, bring to a boil. In the finished porridge, add a spoonful of honey (or sugar).
What is ketoacidosis
This is a complex symptom complex, which is based on an increase in blood acidity caused by the growth of ketone bodies (a group of metabolic products). The body receives most of its energy from glucose with insulin. If insulin does not perform its functions or another violation of carbohydrate and fat metabolism occurs, the source of energy is fats. Splitting into molecules, they release into the blood ketone bodies, which increase acidity. This process is accompanied by a lot of painful symptoms up to the development of ketoacid coma.
Ketoacidosis in children is slightly different from the same condition in adults. This is due to the peculiarities of the growing organism, the activity of the child. Causes of acetonemic syndrome depend on its type:
- Non-diabetic ketoacidosis. Caused by external factors not related to disorders of the pancreas. Main reasons:
- unbalanced diet: excessive consumption of fat or easily digestible carbohydrates, long breaks between meals,
- drastic change in nutrition
- infectious diseases of the urinary and respiratory system,
- stress, overwork,
- chronic diseases: liver damage, hormonal disorders, infections,
- injuries, surgical interventions.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis. It is associated with the development of type 1 diabetes in children. The main causes of diabetic acetonemia:
- lack of insulin in case of undiagnosed diabetes,
- small doses of insulin with maintenance therapy,
- skipping insulin injections, incorrect hormone input,
- lack of parental control for diabetes,
- additional insulin requirements: infections, surgery, certain medications, stress.
Ketoacidosis in children is a rapidly progressing symptom complex. It develops from several hours to several days. The following factors contribute to the accumulation of ketone bodies in the blood:
- binge eating,
- increased physical activity.
First, there are primary signs that indicate the beginning of the process of acidification of the blood. If the parents at this stage take measures to stop ketoacidosis, the child will quickly recover. Primary symptoms of acetonemia:
- weakness tiredness
- weight loss during normal diet,
- headache, dizziness,
- dry skin, dehydration,
- strong thirst
- increased body temperature
- frequent urination.
As the situation worsens, soreness and tension in the abdomen, stomach pain, nausea and retching, diarrhea or constipation occur. From the mouth and from the skin emanates the smell of acetone, cheeks bright pink. Children become irritable, nervous, more sleep. Breathing is noisy, deep. In the absence of therapy, obsessive repeated vomiting appears, disorientation in space is observed, the amount of urine released decreases, these are signs of ketoacidosis coma. With a maximum concentration of ketone bodies in the blood, a coma occurs.
Newborns with acetonemic syndrome have the same symptoms as older children. The difference in the rate of development of ketoacidosis - signs of the syndrome complex increase in a few hours. The causes of this condition in newborns are diabetes mellitus, type 1 glycogenosis, glycinemia, methylmalonic aciduria, lactic acidosis. In some diseases, in addition to the symptoms described above, babies have hypotension of muscles, retraction of a spring.
When ketoacidosis is carried out several laboratory tests and examination of children. The doctor writes out directions for such analyzes:
- urine and blood count
- blood acidity (pH)
- the level of ketone bodies in the blood,
- blood ion testing
- sugar level.
If a medical examination reveals more than 12 mmol / l of glucose in the blood, 3 mmol / l of ketones, the pH is less than 7.3, a diagnosis of ketoacidosis is made. A mild nondiabetic form of the syndrome complex can be treated on an outpatient basis. Therapy for diabetic ketoacidosis is carried out in a hospital, and if the stage is medium and heavy - in the intensive care unit. A normal blood acidity is restored to the child, short insulin is administered, a special diet is prescribed.
Nutrition with elevated acetone in children
After the diagnosis is made, “non-diabetic ketoacidosis” (in the case of the diabetic form, the condition is monitored by a specialist) parents need to create the correct drinking regimen for the child. It is important to restore water and electrolyte balance. The best drink for children with ketoacidosis:
- glucose in ampoules - when the first signs appear, the child should be given 5 ml of 40% glucose solution,
- dried fruit compotes - increase blood sugar levels,
- raisin infusion - a source of easily digestible fructose (1 tablespoon of raisins with a slide, pour 1 cup boiling water and leave for 15-20 minutes),
- alkaline mineral waters (Borjomi, Yessentuki No. 4 or No. 17) - neutralize ketone bodies,
- electrolyte solutions for oral rehydration (Rehydron).
In the acute phase of the syndrome complex, patients refuse to eat, and adults should not insist on eating. The first days of a diet with ketoacidosis in children include only fluid intake. Drinking rules:
- Offer the patient only warm drinks (36-37 ° C).
- With repeated vomiting, drink 10 ml every 10-15 minutes. Small doses will not cause repeated emetic urges, and frequent drinking will prevent dehydration.
- Teas, infusions, compotes with ketoacidosis in children should be sweet, but you should not exceed the maximum permissible amount of glucose: you can consume 5 mg per 1 kg of weight per day.
Offer food to the child only when he wants to eat. Diet with acetone in the urine in children requires the following rules:
- meals should be fractional: every 2-3 hours, offer the patient a monocomponent meal, serving size up to 100 g,
- food on the diet must be boiled, stewed, baked, steamed,
- dinner is light, not later than 18.00-19.00,
- before bedtime, children with ketoacidosis can drink a glass of low-fat dairy product,
- The menu should include vegetables with high fiber content,
- meat and fish should be given in the form of soufflé, meatballs, meatballs.
Allowed and prohibited products
On a diet with ketoacidosis in children, the menu is not too diverse. All products must be easily digestible. In the preparation of the diet, take into account the tastes of the patient. On the menu there is such food:
- milk, unsweetened fermented milk products with fat content up to 5%,
- cereals: rice, barley, oat, wheat, corn (they need to be made liquid and razvararistymi),
- vegetables: pumpkin, beets, potatoes, zucchini, carrots, cabbage, fresh cucumbers, greens,
- vegetable and milk soups,
- sweet fruits and berries: red apples, pears, melons, watermelons, peaches, plums, etc.,
- boiled chicken eggs (no more than 1 pc. per day), quail eggs,
- lean meat: rabbit, turkey, chicken, veal,
- sea lean fish: pollock, hake, flounder,
- brown and green algae,
- nuts, biscuits, crackers from white bread.
In the diet of ketoacidosis there are foods that can be used, but in small portions a couple of times a week. List of restricted foods:
- macaroni, moderately sweet, unleavened baked goods,
- sour cream, low-fat cheese,
- bananas, oranges, tangerines, kiwi, dates, figs,
- natural sweets: jam, honey, marshmallow, jelly, marmalade.
Pay special attention to the list of prohibited products. All high-calorie, difficult to digest and fatty foods are excluded. On a diet with ketoacidosis, children should not eat such food:
- fatty meat and fish
- meat and fish broths,
- smoked meat, canned food, pickles,
- dairy products,
- tomatoes, eggplants,
- parsley, sorrel, spinach,
- sour berries and fruits,
- pastry, too sweet pastries, fresh bread,
- convenience foods, fast food,
- packaged juices, carbonated drinks, coffee, broth hips.
Diet with elevated acetone in children
The purpose of nutrition in ketoacidosis is recuperation after an illness and removal of ketones. Feed the children need light food, so as not to create an extra load on the digestive tract. For 7-10 days from the diet exclude fats, limit proteins and add digestible carbohydrates (not sugar). Instead of sugar give sorbitol, xylitol. If food intake is not possible, the patient is shown parenteral administration of a liquid and 5% glucose solution.
At home, the level of acetone is controlled by litmus strips. Several times a day, you need to collect fresh urine in the jar, put the test strip in there, wait until the reaction occurs. Then compare the color of the indicator with the scale on the package. With different concentrations of ketones, children need a different diet:
- 0.5-1.5 mmol / l (+): easy stage. The child must be given more liquid, remove fatty foods from the menu. The treatment is carried out at home.
- 2-4 mmol / l (++): the middle stage. A boy or girl is shown a light diet. It is necessary to exclude spicy, fatty, to give an alkaline drink, glucose. If the condition worsens, hospital treatment is required.
- 5-10 mmol / l (+++): severe stage. Hospitalization is obligatory, a strict diet is indicated for acetonemic syndrome.
With ketoacid coma
On the first day, the patient struggles with multiple vomiting, diarrhea, and poor health. In the acute period, the child is shown only a heavy drink. After the termination of gagging and temperature stabilization, the diet looks like this:
- Day 1: homemade rusks of white / gray bread, a lot of liquid, easily digestible carbohydrates (juice, semolina, honey, jam).
- Day 2: mashed potatoes, rice water, baked apple, oatmeal, milk, bread, low-fat cottage cheese, and yogurt are added to the ration of the previous day.
- Day 3: boiled porridge.
- Day 4: Light vegetable soup without heavy ingredients.
Principles of lowering acetone
When your child has acetonemic syndrome, you need:
- Achieve vomiting stop.
- To ensure the restoration of the balance of water and electrolytes.
- Give sorbents for the rapid elimination of ketones from the body.
- When pain in the abdomen give antispasmodics.
- Follow a strict diet.
- With a strong deterioration in the condition of the baby food does not need to be given at all. Do not worry that the crumb will starve. In addition, you can not force the child to eat. On the first day, you can give your baby only a few crackers.
- On the second day, it is also advised to give the child a minimum of food. If the condition improves, you can add a baked apple to the croutons and a fairly abundant drink, as well as rice water.
- From the third day, let us have a crumb porridge, which should be cooked on water for the time being (it should be well boiled). The use of buckwheat, corn, and also oat porridge will bring the big advantage to the child. Add butter is not worth it, like sugar. If you want to make the product more sweet, you can use homemade jam or honey.
- On the fourth day we are expanding the children's diet with the addition of biscuit and bread. You can also make a vegetable soup or vegetable broth. A small amount of vegetable oil is acceptable.
- When improving from the fifth day, it is allowed to give boiled chicken or veal, as well as natural and fresh dairy products.
Drinking for a child with acetone in the blood and urine must be plentiful. It is important to prevent the recurrence of vomiting, so all liquids give small portions, for example, a tablespoon every 15 minutes.
With an increase in acetone in the blood, the child needs a sweet drink. It is best to immediately give your baby a concentrated glucose solution. Prepare the child also infusion of raisins, pouring a tablespoon of raw material with a glass of boiling water.
Why, with a high content of acetons, urine and blood of a child need to replenish glucose reserves, see the transfer of Dr. Komarovsky.
In the first days of the disease, the child should also be given electrolyte solutions, for example, rehydron. In addition, give your baby non-carbonated alkaline mineral water and dried fruit compote.
From the fourth day of illness, you can give to the karapuzu fruit or vegetable juices (dilute with water), homemade fruit drinks and fruit drinks, as well as tea (weakly brewed). Remember that tea has a diuretic effect, so for each cup of tea the child must additionally drink a glass of water.
Drinks for a sick baby should not be either icy or hot, so as not to irritate the mucous membrane of the digestive tract, and not to increase vomiting. It is best to give the toxin liquid at room temperature. The total volume of fluid per day is calculated by the weight of the baby - for every kilogram you need 120 ml of drink.
Vegetable and rice soup
Peel two potatoes and chop finely. Chop carrots and quarter onions cleaned. Put the vegetables in boiling water (500 ml) and salt a little. After 15 minutes, add two tablespoons of washed rice cereal to the soup. After letting the dish cook for another 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let it brew for 5-10 minutes.
Turkey with vegetables
Cut the turkey fillet into small pieces, put in a cauldron, pour in some water, add a pinch of salt and, with a lid, simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next, add broccoli cabbage, shredded carrots and one onion to the cauldron. Cook until all the ingredients are soft. For a small child at the end of cooking the dish is ground in a blender.
Diet after acute symptoms
Although symptoms with proper treatment will pass within a few days, a certain diet should be kept for another 2-3 months. Its basis should be such products:
- Porridge from buckwheat, corn, pearl barley, oat and wheat cereals. Make them liquid.
- Dairy, and also fermented milk products. Buy for your child only fresh products with a fat content of a maximum of 5%, which is not added sugar.
- Soups that are cooked in vegetable broths.
- Low-fat types of meat - use turkey, rabbit, chicken fillet or veal for dishes.
- Sea fish - cook crumbs from cod, pollock, whiting, hake, flounder.
- Baked, raw and steamed vegetables - cook a child carrot, zucchini, pumpkin, different types of cabbage, potatoes and others.
- Berries and sweet types of fruits, as well as dried fruits.
- Boiled eggs - up to one piece per day.
- Some nuts.
- Compotes made at home without sugar, as well as fruit drinks.
- From sweets it is permissible to moderately give marmalade, honey, jam, marshmallow or caramel.
Power should be fractional, with breaks of 2-3 hours. Dinner should not be plentiful - it is best to give your baby a small snack at 7 pm, and for the night limit yourself to a glass of kefir or ryazhenka. All food is recommended to bake, boil, steam or stew. Meat and fish should be made for baby souffles, meatballs and meatballs.
Due to the large restrictions in products and the small list of allowed dishes, it is not easy to make a menu for a baby who is recovering after an increase in acetone in the blood. We offer a rough nutritional option for the week, which needs to be adapted to your child’s preferences: