To date, in the arsenal of ophthalmologists a huge stock of eye drops from different manufacturers, the cost of many of which has a rather high price. Not all people are satisfied with the pricing policy of pharmaceuticals, so most are trying to find inexpensive analogues.
Is it possible to replace such a popular drug, as Ophthalmoferon, with an analogue, which will cost less and at the same time effective for adults and children? An expert on eye diseases is ready to give the best answer, but it is advisable to know everything about the analogs of eye drops that are easy to obtain in pharmacies.
Eye Drops Information
Ophthalmoferon is a domestic drug of a new generation, which was introduced into medicine at the beginning of the twentieth century after successful testing in many well-known ophthalmological clinics.
It is produced in the form of combined eye drops, and contains substances that have immunomodulatory and antiviral activity, as well as regenerating, antiseptic and antihistamine properties.
The drug has an extensive effect due to its composition:
- Human interferon recombinant alpha 2-b is an antiviral and immunomodulatory component obtained by crossing molecular biology and genetic engineering. Unlike interferon, derived from serum, it is safer and cleaner. This substance blocks the virus that gets into the eye, preventing it from multiplying, thereby preventing healthy cells from infecting.
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride is a first-generation histamine receptor blocker, which has anti-inflammatory and antiallergic properties with local anesthetic action.
- Auxiliary substances are necessary for the preparation of an antiseptic solution, which, due to its viscosity and density, ensures a long stay of the preparation on the mucous membrane, as well as protection and restoration of tissues.
The drug is produced in plastic bottles with a dispenser of 5 and 10 ml. Seemingly transparent, with a slightly yellowish tinge. The cost of Ophthalmoferon varies from 250 to 340 rubles, depending on the region.
Based on the fact that the drug has a combined therapeutic effect, the main indications for use of Ophthalmoferon for patients with certain pathological disorders are highlighted:
- viral conjunctivitis caused by allergies,
- keratitis, keratoconjunctivitis, provoked by the herpes virus or adenovirus,
- uveitis, as well as keratitis herpetic origin, including ulcerative lesions,
- eye injuries,
- postoperative complications
- dryness and irritability of the eye.
Ophthalmoferon is used to treat patients of different age categories, it can be prescribed for adults, children and even pregnant women, because it has a safe composition and has only local effects. There are no overdose cases, no side effects have been reported. Among the contraindications - only individual intolerance to the active substance. A slight blurriness of the image goes away a few minutes after application. This should be taken into account by people working with machinery and drivers. These eye drops go well with most medications. But to apply Oftalmoferon at its discretion should not be.
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor based on the diagnosis, the dynamics of the disease against the background of prescribed therapy. In the acute course of the disease it is necessary to bury two drops every three hours. As the inflammatory process dies out, the number of instillations must be halved, but it is necessary to be treated until the symptoms disappear, and a few more days for prophylactic purposes. With dry eyes Ophthalmoferon is used 2 times a day, and the course of treatment is 4 weeks.
Due to the large number of medicinal properties, Ophthalmoferon has a wide range of actions. A second such drug with a unique spectrum of local therapeutic action on the structure of the eyes does not yet exist. However, what if a person has individual intolerance to Ophthalmoferon or not enough funds to purchase?
Safe, high-quality and cheaper analogues should be prescribed by a doctor, taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient. Each pharmacy has a huge selection of ophthalmic preparations consisting of various active ingredients and differing in cost. But they can all have contraindications. It is rather difficult to choose an independently necessary drug without medical education, therefore the doctor should deal with this issue.
What eye drops have antiviral and immunomodulatory effects? This group includes domestic drugs Poludan and Aktipol, as well as Finnish eye drops Oftan Idu.
The Finnish drug cannot be attributed to budgetary analogues, its cost is almost the same as that of Ophthalmoferon, which is 120 rubles cheaper, but they are interchangeable in case of urgent need. The rest, now known domestic eye drops, do not have antiviral and immunostimulating action.
What ophthalmic drugs are characterized by antimicrobial action? This is a fairly large group of drugs:
- Sulfacyl sodium.
These drugs are used to treat conjunctivitis, keratitis, uevita, various combinations of pathologies of eye structures of fungal, viral and infectious origin. In severe cases, experts combine products with each other or with other high-quality drugs. Therefore, it is extremely problematic and unsafe for health to pick up eye drops without the necessary knowledge.
Indications for use
What helps Ophthalmoferon? According to the instructions, eye drops are prescribed in the following cases:
- adenoviral, hemorrhagic (enterovirus), herpetic conjunctivitis,
- adenoviral, herpetic (vesicular, dotted, treelike, potato-like) keratitis,
- herpetic stromal keratitis with ulceration of the cornea and without ulceration,
- adenoviral and herpetic keratoconjunctivitis,
- herpetic uveitis and herpetic keratouveuitis (with and without ulceration),
- dry eye syndrome
- prevention of graft disease and prevention of recurrence of herpetic keratitis after keratoplasty,
- prevention and treatment of complications after excimer laser refractive surgery of the cornea.
Instructions for use Oftalmoferon, dosage of eye drops
The drug is used conjunctivally. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before using the eye drops.
According to the instructions for use, dosage of eye drops Ophthalmoferon, depending on the evidence:
- In viral eye lesions in adults and children in the acute stage of the disease, the drug is instilled into the conjunctival sac 1–2 drops up to 6–8 times a day. As the inflammatory process is relieved, the number of instillations is reduced to 2-3 times a day, until the symptoms of the disease disappear.
- In dry eye syndrome, drops are used daily, instilling 1–2 drops 2 times a day into the diseased eye for 25–30 days until the symptoms of the disease disappear.
- For the prevention and treatment of complications after excimer laser refractive surgery of the cornea, the instruction recommends daily use of Ophthalmoferon, starting from the day of surgery, dripping 1-2 drops 2 times a day into the eye for 10 days.
- For the prevention of transplant disease and prevention of recurrence of herpetic keratitis after keratoplasty, the drug is used daily, instilling 1–2 drops into the operated eye 3-4 times a day during the first 2 weeks after surgery.
The course of treatment is continued until the symptoms of the disease disappear.
People who use contact lenses should bury the drug only when the lenses are removed, which can be put on 15-20 minutes after using the drug.
The instruction warns of the possibility of the development of the following side effects when prescribing Ophthalmoferon drops:
- Conjunctival redness,
- Puffiness of eyelids
- Burning and itching eyes,
- Blurred vision, blurred vision.
As a rule, the described side effects are not dangerous and quickly pass on their own without medical intervention.
Ophthalmoferon is contraindicated in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
The drug has no contraindications during pregnancy and lactation.
The drug has no age limit.
At the moment, no cases of overdose have been identified.
Analogues Oftalmoferon, price in pharmacies
If necessary, Ophthalmoferon can be replaced by an analogue for the active substance - these are drugs:
- Intron A,
- EU reaferon,
- Eberon alpha R.
For therapeutic action:
Choosing analogues it is important to understand that the instructions for use of Ophthalmoferon, the price and reviews for eye drops of a similar action do not apply. It is important to consult a doctor and not to make an independent replacement of the drug.
Price in pharmacies in Russia: Ophthalmoferon eye drops 10ml - from 284 to 355 rubles, according to 704 pharmacies.
Keep out of the reach of children. Store in a dark, dry place at a temperature of 2-8 ° C. Shelf life - 2 years. Conditions of sale from pharmacies - without a prescription.
What do the reviews say?
There are many positive reviews on Ophthalmoferon eye drops on medical forums, because they can be used both in children and in elderly patients suffering from eye problems - various etiologies of conjunctivitis, with a “dry” eye, as well as for prevention.
Moms praise Ophthalmoferon, noting its safety of use, accessibility, no itching and allergies.
Eye Drops Ophthalmoferon
Ophthalmoferon - a drug intended for the treatment of viral and allergic diseases of the eye. This drug has a versatile action due to its composition:
- The main active ingredient of Ophthalmoferon is interferon (its concentration is not less than 10,000 IU in 1 ml), which has antiviral effect and enhances local immunity,
- Dimedrol has anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory effect, in addition, Dimedrol has a local anesthetic effect on the conjunctiva and the cornea of the eye,
- Boric acid has an antiseptic (disinfecting) effect on a secondary bacterial infection, often joining a viral lesion of the eye.
Interferon, which is a part of Ophthalmoferon, is a preparation obtained by genetic engineering, which gives it a number of advantages over interferon obtained from human blood leukocytes: it is more purified (up to 99%), safe for the transmission of other viruses (HIV, cytomegalovirus, hepatitis viruses), allows the use of higher concentrations of interferon.
The active substances of Ophthalmoferon are packed in a complex of biopolymers "artificial tear", which protects the corneal epithelium from the irritating action of Dimedrol, lubricates the cornea, has a softening effect and contributes to the reproduction of the optical characteristics of the tear film. The high viscosity of the protective film increases the duration of contact of the drug with the cornea and leads to an even distribution of the drug over the entire surface of the eye. An increase in the time of contact of the drug with the conjunctiva of the eye increases the antiviral efficacy of Interferon.
Improvement of regeneration (restoration of eye tissue) is also one of the therapeutic effects of Ophthalmoferon.
AT acute stage diseases prescribe 1-2 drops in the eye 6-8 times a day. When relieving the inflammatory process, instill 1-2 drops 2-3 times a day. Treatment continues until full recovery.
In the treatment dry eyes Ophthalmoferon use 2 drops 2 times a day for 6 weeks.
After surgical intervention (excimer laser refractive eye surgery) 2 drops are dropped in each eye 3 times a day for 6 weeks, and after keratoplasty - for 2 weeks.
After instillation of eye drops Ophthalmoferon for 15-20 minutes should refrain from driving and from working with potentially dangerous machinery.
Transport drops and store at a temperature of +2. 8 o C.
Ophthalmoferon for children
Ophthalmoferon is also used in pediatric practice, since the dose of Dimedrol in the preparation is less than a single dose for the child, and also given that the eye drops do not have a systemic effect.
There are no age restrictions for prescribing Ophthalmoferon, it can be prescribed to newborns and infants.
Doses of Ophthalmoferon and the duration of treatment are determined only by an oculist depending on the age of the child, the type of disease and its severity.
Ophthalmoferon in conjunctivitis
Treatment of conjunctivitis depends on the cause of the disease.
Ophthalmoferon is used to treat viral conjunctivitis caused by a herpetic virus, adenovirus, cytomegalovirus. The drug can also be prescribed for allergic conjunctivitis.
Ophthalmoferon is well combined with other drugs that are used to treat conjunctivitis.
Ophthalmoferon has not only antiviral effect, but also antihistamine (antiallergic), anti-inflammatory, antiseptic (disinfectant) and immunomodulating (increases local immunity).
The dosage of the drug, see above in the "treatment".
More on conjunctivitis
In patient reviews there is a good tolerability of the drug, its effectiveness with dry eyes. Some patients note a burning sensation after several instillations.
Of the negative aspects in the treatment of Ophthalmoferon, its effectiveness is noted only in combination with other means, and not when used alone in the treatment of conjunctivitis. However, these negative reviews may be due to the fact that conjunctivitis was caused by another reason.
The disadvantages of the drug, according to users, are the high cost of the drug, a small shelf life after opening the package (1 month), sour smell of drops.
In 1 milliliter of eye drops Ophthalmoferon:
- active substances: interferon alfa-2b, diphenhydramine - 1 milligram,
- Excipients: sodium acetate, hypromellose, boric acid.
The composition and dosage may vary depending on the manufacturer.
When applied topically, it does not undergo active absorption. The concentration of active substances is below the limit of detection and has no clinical significance. Information on the degree of penetration of diphenhydramine (dimedrol) into the eye tissue is absent. Does not have a dangerous interaction in the composition of the combined treatment with other oral medications.
Available in the form of eye drops in a plastic bottle with dispenser. Most often it has no color. Dosage - 5 and 10 milliliters.
Ophthalmoferon is actively used in the following diseases:
- herpetic keratitis
Ophthalmoferon intended for instillation into the eyes. It is important to wash hands before use, and close the bottle tightly after each use. The duration of treatment and dosage of Ophthalmoferon is determined only by the attending physician after the examination.
For adults, the recommended dosage is 1-2 drops of the drug 6-8 times a day to treat acute forms of the disease. After improving the condition, the dose is reduced to 1-2 drops 2-3 times a day. For the treatment of chronic diseases usually use 1-2 drops 2-3 times a day. Treatment should continue until the symptoms disappear.
The regimen for children is controlled by a pediatrician depending on the age and the presence of chronic diseases.
Cases of overdose have not been identified. But despite the lack of cautions regarding overdose, it is not recommended to violate the dosage. If you suspect an overdose of Ophthalmoferon, consult a specialist.
Ophthalmoferon eye drops have a list of certain structural analogues, different in composition and mechanism of action on the patient's body. Before purchasing, be sure to consult with your doctor.
Auxiliary substances that are part of the drug-analogues may differ significantly from the composition of Ophthalmoferon. Make sure you are not allergic before use. If necessary, specify which analogue of Ophthalmoferon can be used for children.
Drops used in viral eye infections. Effective with conjunctivitis and allergic manifestations in the form of increased tearing.Active ingredient: benzoic acid with an amino group.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity to the components, cataracts, chronic eye diseases.
Side effects: skin reactions, allergic dermatitis, rash, itching, burning. With prolonged use, the drug can cause a significant reduction in vision.
The gel is effective in acute conjunctivitis and allergic rhinitis. Active substances: betamethasone sodium phosphate and interferon alfa-2b.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity to interferon alfa-2b, viral infections, trachoma, glaucoma, corneal damage, ulcers of the nose, pregnancy, lactation, age up to 18 years.
Side effects: not detected within 10 days of use. Reduction of visual acuity, damage to the optic nerve, glaucoma, increased intraocular pressure and constriction of the pupil, the development of cataracts, the development of secondary ocular infection, delayed wound healing, mydriasis, ptosis, burning, irritation of the eye, conjunctival hyperemia, ulceration and atrophy of the nasal mucosa, perrhea are possible nasal septum, rhinorrhea, sneezing, irritation of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity, nasal bleeding, increased tearing, allergic reactions, headache.
This eye gel is used to treat and prevent infections caused by cytomegalovirus, which usually occurs in patients with a suppressed immune system due to AIDS or a recent transplant.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity, pregnancy, lactation.
Side effects: sore throat, fever, heavy bleeding or bruising, nervousness, with intravenous use, pain at the injection site, skin rash, tremor, fatigue and weakness, using eye drops may reduce vision.
The drug for the treatment of viral infections of genital herpes, chicken pox and shingles. Form release: pills and ointment.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity to the components.
Side effects: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, anaphylaxis, angioedema, fever, headache, peripheral edema, aggressive behavior, agitation, ataxia, coma, confusion, delirium, dizziness, anxiety, jaundice, myalgia, alopecia, erythema multidimensional zoo, anxiety, jaundice, myalgia, alopecia, erythema multidimensional zoo, anxiety, jaundice, myalgia, alopecia, erythema multiforme, zoo zoology, anxiety, jaundice, myalgia, alopecia, erythema multidimensional zoo, anemia, dizziness, anxiety, jaundice, myalgia, alopecia, erythema , Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, urticaria, renal failure, elevated blood urea levels, hematuria, gastrointestinal disorders. Side effects are most commonly seen in older people and in patients with renal failure.
Antiviral drug in the form of cream and pills. It is used to treat symptoms of chickenpox, shingles, viral infections of genital herpes, skin, brain, eyes and mucous membranes (lips and mouth). Effective in the treatment of herpes in newborns. Helps relieve pain and eliminate discomfort, promoting rapid healing. Ineffective against colds. It is released only by prescription.
Contraindications: allergic to substances that are part of the drug.
Side effects: pain, swelling, redness at the site of application, pain in the stomach, difficulty urinating, increased thirst, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, weakness, black feces, blood in the urine or feces, chills, fever, sore throat, anxiety, convulsions, hallucinations (auditory and visual), urticaria, red spots on the skin, tremor, decreased blood clotting, bloating, psoriasis (rarely), discoloration of the skin, reduced vision, cough, difficulty breathing, dizziness, tachycardia, irritability, itching, skin rash, swelling of the face, eyelids, g slaughter, tongue, throat, arms, legs and genitals, muscle cramps, red eyes, anxiety, white spots in the mouth or on the lips, inflammation of the lymph nodes in the neck, armpits or groin, impaired coordination.
Ointment against urinary tract infections and eye diseases. The active ingredient is oxolinic acid.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity, severe renal failure, pregnancy and lactation, age up to 12 years, convulsive state.
Side effects: urinary stones, muscle pain, hypersensitivity reactions (rash, urticaria, pruritus, photosensitivity, leukopenia, eosinophilia), nausea, vomiting, anorexia, epigastric pain, abdominal pain, diarrhea, metallic taste in the mouth, insomnia, anxiety, nervousness, agitation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, peripheral neuropathy, paresthesia, photophobia, blurred vision, impaired coordination, diplopia, convulsions, hallucinations.
One of the most common antiviral drugs. Available due to low price and usability. The ointment has a good antiviral effect only for certain viruses, and is effective only at the initial stage of the disease.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity to active or auxiliary components.
Side effects: slight burning and rhinorrhea (increased secretion of nasal mucus). These side effects are considered normal and do not require correction treatment.
It is actively used for viral eye diseases (herpes, conjunctivitis, keratoconjunctivitis, keratitis, keratoidocyclitis, keratouveuitis, stromal keratitis, iridocyclitis and chorioretinitis). It is also effective in viral optical neuritis. The active substance is polyadenylic acid. Form release - drops for the eyes.
Contraindications: hypersensitivity to the drug.
Side effects: allergy in the form of itching, sensation of a foreign body in the eye, swelling of the lower eyelid, increased intraocular pressure, tearing.
How to choose a similar treatment solution
In order to choose a similar medicine for the eyes, you need to know the composition of the original medicinal solution and its effect. Considered medical product contains:
- Human recombinant interferon Alfa-2b. This component has an antiviral effect, and also this substance activates the natural work of the immune system. This component is derived artificially through genetic engineering methods. Once in the body, it blocks the reproductive system of viruses, which leads to the cessation of their reproduction.
- Diphenhydramine hydrochloride. The component has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects. The use of products with this substance has a local anesthetic effect.
- Additional components. Auxiliary components are: saline, boric acid, povidone and macrogol. Additional components are used to bring the solution to the desired consistency and to accelerate the absorption of active substances.
The cost of the considered pharmacological drug from 350 rubles in the pharmacies of the Russian Federation.
List of analogues with a description
Pharmacological products with completely identical composition at the moment does not exist. But what about those who are unable for one reason or another to use the eye drops in question?
For persons who do not carry substances included in the eye drops, there is an analogue called “Oftan Idu”. This pharmacological product belongs to the same price category as Ophthalmoferon, therefore it cannot be called a cheap replacement product, even with a stretch.
Unfortunately, there are no other drugs that combine anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects. But it is possible to choose the tools that include one of these properties. To combine two different drugs, you need to visit a specialist.
As replacement medications, experts usually prescribe:
- "Poludan". The price of a medical preparation in the Russian Federation is 170 rubles. The drug has an antiviral effect. The drug provokes the body to produce natural interferon to combat viral agents. Medication is permissible for use in adults and children.
- "Aktipol". The average cost of the drug in Russia is 150 rubles. The drug fights viruses by stimulating the body to produce endogenous interferon. Due to the fact that the composition contains paraaminobenzoic acid, eye drops are used for injury to the organs of vision.
- "Alergoferon". The average price in Russia is 185 p. Eye gel is used for seasonal allergic reactions. The active ingredient allows you to suppress some of the immune response of the body.
- "Albucidus". The price of the drops under consideration is 50 rubles. The tool can be considered an analogue of "Ophthalmoferon", but its use is possible not in all cases. The drug has an antimicrobial effect. The tool suppresses the development of pathogenic microorganisms by suppressing the immune system. As an analogue, "Oftalmoferon" is assigned extremely rarely.
- "Grippferon". You can purchase this medication at a cost of 240 rubles or more. Eye drops have an immunomodulatory effect in combination with an antiviral effect.
- "Virolex". A medical product is not the cheapest, its price is 220 p. The drug has antiallergic and antiviral effects. As a rule, the considered medicine for the eyes is used in the fight against the herpes virus.
- Zovirax A similar drug, having a cost of 180 rubles. Immunostimulatory drug aimed at combating viral agents.
- Oxolinic ointment. Very cheap tool worth 40 rubles. With the help of this ointment, you can effectively fight viruses. The drug can be used not only as a drug, but also as a prophylactic agent.
Each of the presented drugs for the eyes can to some extent replace the medication Ophthalmoferon. But self-treatment is strictly prohibited, as this may lead to the aggravation of existing pathologies.
Use of medicine for the eyes
Regardless of which remedy should be used for the treatment of ophthalmic diseases, the following actions should be taken:
- wash your hands and wipe with a clean towel (it is advisable to use gloves),
- wash your face and eyes, the use of detergents is not desirable
- check the expiration date of medicinal ointments or drops (expired medicines are not allowed to be used),
- occupy a comfortable position for therapeutic action.
After the treatment is necessary to carefully monitor the state of health. If the state of health worsens or unpleasant feelings arise, it is necessary to stop using the medicine and visit a specialist.
Note! If at the time of the negative manifestations of the medication is still in the conjunctival sac, you should immediately wash the eyes to remove the remedy. This is necessary to prevent a stronger negative reaction.
Analogues of Ophthalmoferon Drug
Analogue cheaper from 143 rubles.
Poludan is a domestic product. Available in the form of a solution containing several active ingredients. It has antiviral effect, is used to treat adenoviral and herpetic eye infections. Of the contraindications indicated hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug.
Analogue cheaper from 74 rubles.
Allerhoferon - antiviral eye gel. Contains alpha-2b interferon and loratadine. Shows antiallergic and antipruritic effects. Eliminates swelling and inflammation. It is prescribed for allergic conjunctivitis. Apply to the region of the upper and lower eyelids up to 4 times a day. From contraindications only personal sensitivity to the components of the drug. Temporary occurrence of itching in the area of application is possible at the beginning of treatment. Due to the lack of data on use in children and in pregnant women, the drug is not prescribed for these groups.
Analog more from 490 rubles.
Zirgan - eye gel based on ganciclovir. It has the ability to block the synthesis of viral DNA. Acute superficial herpetic keratitis indications. In the affected eye should be instilled in the region of the lower conjunctival sac 1 drop 5 times a day. Hypersensitivity to ganciclovir and acyclovira are contraindications. Unwanted effects are possible in the form of burning, stinging in the eyes and superficial keratitis. Children under 18 years of age and pregnancy are restrictions to the reception.